Solving partial differential equations

In summary, In order to solve the two problems given, the person would need to know single variable calculus, single variable differential equations, and some knowledge of Fourier analysis.
BlueStar123

Homework Statement

There are two separate problems:

1) Consider the cube region defined between 0 and L in each of the three dimensions. A scalar field inside this cube satisfies [tex] \Delta \Psi = -c\Psi [/tex]. c = 40/L2. The boundary conditions are specified. [tex] \Psi = 0 [/tex] on the planes y =0/L, x=0/L and z=L. On the plane z=o, the field is defined by a simple function in terms of x, y and L.
We need an analytical solution for the field.

2) A system of partial diff eqns are given:
[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} + cf^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}[/tex]
Once again, various boundary conditions like for problem (1) are given and we are asked for analytical solutions.

2. The attempt at a solution

I do not need help on the solution to these problems themselves. I would like to solve them all by myself. I just need help on knowing what math topics I need to read before I can tackle these two problems. I am not a math major and my math knowledge is equal to that of an engineering graduate who took the required calculus course in the undergraduate program. But I am very passionate about math and I believe I can pick up the required concepts quickly. So, can the good folks on this forum please answer the following questions for me:

1) What concepts and in what order should I read? You may say: Single variable calculus => multi-variable calculus => single variable differential eqns => ... etc

2) What textbooks/online articles/lecture notes/online free textbooks can I get that will help me learn the topics you outlined for the above question.

3) What search terms can I use to get more info on these questions. E.g. the first equation seems to be called Poisson equation or something. I ask for these search terms since I hope to get to some prof's lecture notes by searchin for these terms.

4) Finally, can you also tell me how difficult the solutions to these problems are for someone who already knows these topics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a bit confused by this. You want to solve first order partial differential equations and you are asking about single variable calculus? Certainly you should know all of calculus as well as ordinary differential equations.

You might want to google "first order partial differential equations". I did and immediately got
http://www.scholarpedia.org/article...on/First-Order_Partial_Differential_Equations
which looks helpful.

If you are up to level with engineering math course then you should be able to tackle this. In the end engineers do have to take partial differential equations. If you know all basic calculus and are comfortable with the complex plane (Not as in need to know full complex analysis, just a mild understanding) then I suggest the book Fourier analysis from the princeton lectures in analysis. This book actually takes you in depth into such problems with thorough understanding and proofs. A more applicational book is one also called Fourier analysis but by Gerald B. Folland.

Related to Solving partial differential equations

1. What are partial differential equations (PDEs)?

Partial differential equations (PDEs) are mathematical equations that involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives. They are used to describe physical phenomena that change with respect to multiple independent variables, such as time and space.

2. What is the purpose of solving partial differential equations?

The purpose of solving partial differential equations is to find a mathematical solution that describes the behavior or evolution of a physical system. This can help predict future behavior, optimize processes, and understand complex dynamics.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve PDEs?

Some common techniques used to solve PDEs include separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of technique often depends on the specific problem at hand.

4. What are some real-world applications of PDEs?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, population dynamics, and financial markets.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations when solving PDEs?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations when solving PDEs. These include the complexity of the equations, the need for numerical approximations, and the sensitivity of the solutions to initial and boundary conditions. Additionally, some problems may not have closed-form solutions and require advanced techniques or computer simulations.