Solving PDE in Mathematica: Why No Answer?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter adamimos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, there are several common reasons for not getting an answer when solving PDEs in Mathematica, such as incorrect formulation, incorrect input syntax, insufficient memory or computational power, or a bug in the software. To check if a PDE is correctly formulated, the VerifySolutions function can be used. There are specific guidelines for input syntax, including using correct mathematical notation and the InputForm function. Insufficient memory or computational power can affect the accuracy of results. If a bug is encountered, it can be reported to Wolfram Support for investigation and a possible solution.
adamimos
Hey all,

I'm trying to solve a PDE in mathematica of this form:

d^2 f / dx^2 = df/dt + f

where f is a function of x and t.

So I input this:

DSolve[D[V[x, t], {x, 2}] == V[x, t] + D[V[x, t], {t, 1}],
V[x, t], {x, t}]

does anyone know why no answer shows up? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't have a general analytical solution. You will have to do it numerically or use some other problem decomposition.

FAQ: Solving PDE in Mathematica: Why No Answer?

1. What are some common reasons for not getting an answer when solving PDEs in Mathematica?

There could be several reasons for not getting an answer when solving PDEs in Mathematica. Some common reasons include: incorrect formulation of the PDE, incorrect input syntax, insufficient memory or computational power, or a bug in the Mathematica software.

2. How can I check if my PDE is correctly formulated?

One way to check if your PDE is correctly formulated is to use the VerifySolutions function in Mathematica. This function checks if the solution to your PDE satisfies the original equation. If the solution does not satisfy the equation, then there may be an error in the formulation of the PDE.

3. Are there any specific guidelines for input syntax when solving PDEs in Mathematica?

Yes, there are some guidelines for input syntax when solving PDEs in Mathematica. It is important to use correct mathematical notation and to follow the specific syntax for each function. It is also recommended to use the InputForm function to check the syntax of your input.

4. Can insufficient memory or computational power affect the results of solving PDEs in Mathematica?

Yes, insufficient memory or computational power can affect the results of solving PDEs in Mathematica. If your system does not have enough memory or computational power, it may not be able to accurately solve the PDE, leading to incorrect or no results.

5. What should I do if I encounter a bug in Mathematica while solving a PDE?

If you encounter a bug in Mathematica while solving a PDE, you can report it to Wolfram Support. They will investigate the issue and provide a solution or fix for the bug. It is also recommended to double-check your input and try different approaches to solving the PDE before reporting a bug.