Solving Permutation Groups: Odd Permutations Have Even Order

In summary: This is because for an element to have order 4, it must have a cycle structure of either (4) or (2,2). However, since S_6 is the permutation group of {1,2,3,4,5,6}, the largest cycle it can have is of length 6. Therefore, there are no elements of order 4 in S_6. As for the question about elements of order greater than 7, based on the same reasoning, there are no elements with order greater than 6 since the largest cycle it can have is of length 6. Therefore, there are no elements with order 7 or greater in
VeeEight
I have two questions, they aren't homework questions but I figured this would be the best place to post them (they are for studying for my exam).

Homework Statement

How many elements of S_6 have order 4? Do any elements have order greater than 7?

Homework Equations

S_6 is the permutation group on {1, 2,..,6}. The order, n, of an element here is a permutation f such that f^n = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that it wouldn't be wise to check all the elements since there are so many of them. I know the order of an element has to divide the order of the group. The order of S_6 is 6!, which seven does not divide so no elements have order 7 (but there must be an element of order 6 since 6 divides 6!). But there must be an element of order 9 since 9|6!. I am not sure if this logic is correct and how to actually find how many elements there are of each order in general.

Homework Statement

Prove that every odd permutation in S_n has even order

Homework Equations

An odd permutation is a permutation that can be written as a product of an odd number of transpositions (2-cycles). If a permutation is odd then it's sgn is -1

My instinct is to incorporte the sgn function into the proof but I am unsure of how to use it.

Physics news on Phys.org
VeeEight said:
I have two questions, they aren't homework questions but I figured this would be the best place to post them (they are for studying for my exam).

Homework Statement

How many elements of S_6 have order 4? Do any elements have order greater than 7?

Homework Equations

S_6 is the permutation group on {1, 2,..,6}. The order, n, of an element here is a permutation f such that f^n = 1

I figured that it wouldn't be wise to check all the elements since there are so many of them. I know the order of an element has to divide the order of the group. The order of S_6 is 6!, which seven does not divide so no elements have order 7 (but there must be an element of order 6 since 6 divides 6!). But there must be an element of order 9 since 9|6!. I am not sure if this logic is correct and how to actually find how many elements there are of each order in general.
You are right about the first argument: since 7 does not divide 6! there are no elements of order 7. However, it is not true that for every divisor of 6! there must be an element with that order. For example, the group A4 (odd permutations in S4) does not have any element of order 6. In general, it's hard to say something about the number of subgroups that do exist; usually the Sylow theorems are useful in such cases.

Homework Statement

Prove that every odd permutation in S_n has even order

Homework Equations

An odd permutation is a permutation that can be written as a product of an odd number of transpositions (2-cycles). If a permutation is odd then it's sgn is -1

My instinct is to incorporte the sgn function into the proof but I am unsure of how to use it.
What order does the identity have? What happens to the sign if you compose n odd permutations?

As far as counting elements of order 4, can you relate the order of an element to the cycle structure of the permutation in the case where it has order 4? Actually, that can probably help you with the 7 or greater question as well.

Last edited:
thanks! I believe I have the answer

FAQ: Solving Permutation Groups: Odd Permutations Have Even Order

What is a permutation group?

A permutation group is a mathematical concept that refers to a collection of all possible rearrangements or permutations of a set of elements. These groups are commonly used in abstract algebra and have applications in various fields, including physics and computer science.

What is the order of a permutation group?

The order of a permutation group is the number of elements in the group. In other words, it is the number of possible permutations that can be formed from the given set of elements. The order of a permutation group can be finite or infinite.

What is an odd permutation?

An odd permutation is a type of permutation that contains an odd number of inversions, which are pairs of elements that are in the wrong order relative to each other. In other words, the elements in an odd permutation cannot be arranged in a sequential order without an odd number of swaps or reordering operations.

Why do odd permutations have even order?

This is a fundamental result in group theory known as the Alternating Group Theorem. It states that any permutation that can be written as a product of an even number of transpositions (swaps) is an element of an even permutation group. Since odd permutations cannot be written as a product of an even number of transpositions, they are not part of the even permutation group and thus have even order.

What are the practical applications of solving permutation groups?

Solving permutation groups has many applications in various fields, such as cryptography, coding theory, and data encryption. In cryptography, permutation groups are used to generate secure encryption keys and to create unbreakable codes. In coding theory, permutation groups are used to design error-correcting codes. In data encryption, permutation groups are used to scramble data to prevent unauthorized access.