Solving Perplexing Problems: 2 Examples

• Thread starter tucky
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems - one involving a fountain and the other a barometer. The first problem involves calculating the rate at which water must be pumped through a fountain with 8 jets, using the formula for velocity and area of a circle. The second problem involves calculating the height of a liquid column in a barometer to indicate standard atmospheric pressure at sea level, using the formula for pressure and the concept of statics.
tucky
Perplexed again!

I have two problems that I am stuck on...I don’t even know if I am going about these correctly.

1. A fountain consists of water jets mounted so that their nozzles are 2 ft above a pool. Each jet squirts water out at a 45o angle. The water lands in the pool approximately 4 feet from the jet. The nozzle on the jet is 0.5 inch in diameter. There are eight of these jets in the fountain. At what rate must water be pumped through the fountain (in gallons/hour)?

4ft=1.219m, 2ft=.6096m
1.219m/ cos 45 = 1.7239m
1.7239 sin 45= 1.219

1.219+.6096=1.828m how far the water traveled

v^2=0+2*9.8m/s^2(1.8196-.6069)
v^2=4.88m/s

d=.0127m
A=pi(.0127m)^2
A=.0005067m^2

Av=Rvol=.00247m^3/s*4+.00989m^3/s=9404gall/hr

2.)A precise barometer can be constructed as shown at right. A tube full of some liquid is inverted in a pool of that liquid. The fluid settles into equilibrium, with a vacuum above the fluid. The height of the column of fluid indicates the atmospheric pressure.

Calculate what h will be for standard atmospheric pressure at sea level if the liquid in the barometer is Water

I know that I should use bernoulli’s equation
P1 + gy1 + ½v12 = P2 + gy2 + ½v22
v1=0 density=1000kg/m^3
y1=0 P1=101,300N/m^2
v2=0
y2=h

101,300N/m^2=P2+(1000kg/m^6)(9.8N)(h)

I have two variable (P2 and h) I do not know how to solve the rest? Can anyone help?

Thanks for your help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Some hints:

For #1: What's the area of a circle?

For #2: You don't need the big guns of Bernoulli. This is a statics problem.

For the first problem, you are on the right track with using the equation v^2=2gh to calculate the velocity of the water coming out of the jets. However, you also need to take into account the diameter of the nozzle and the fact that there are eight jets. This means that the total volume of water being pumped per second is 8 times the volume of water coming out of one jet. From there, you can convert the volume per second to gallons per hour.

For the second problem, you are correct in using Bernoulli's equation. However, you are missing the velocity term (v2) in your equation. You can use the fact that the fluid is in equilibrium to set the velocities at the top and bottom of the tube to be equal, and solve for the height (h) from there. Remember to also convert units to make sure they are all consistent.

Related to Solving Perplexing Problems: 2 Examples

1. What is the process of solving perplexing problems?

The process of solving perplexing problems involves identifying the problem, gathering relevant information, brainstorming potential solutions, evaluating the solutions, and implementing the most effective solution.

2. Can you provide an example of a perplexing problem and how it was solved?

One example of a perplexing problem is a malfunctioning computer system. The problem was identified as the system crashing frequently. Relevant information such as system specifications and recent updates was gathered. Brainstorming led to potential solutions such as updating drivers or replacing hardware. After evaluating the solutions, it was determined that a recent update was causing the crashes and reverting to a previous version solved the issue.

3. What are some common challenges in solving perplexing problems?

Some common challenges in solving perplexing problems include lack of necessary information, difficulty in identifying the root cause of the problem, and limited resources for implementing solutions.

4. How can critical thinking skills be helpful in solving perplexing problems?

Critical thinking skills involve analyzing information, evaluating evidence, and considering multiple perspectives. These skills can be helpful in solving perplexing problems by guiding the problem-solving process and identifying the most effective solution.

5. What are some strategies for effectively solving perplexing problems?

Some strategies for effectively solving perplexing problems include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking input and advice from others, and being open to considering unconventional solutions. It is also important to remain patient and persistent in finding a solution.