Solving pH of Solution After NaOH Addition

In summary, the pH of the solution is 2.0 due to the neutralization of the strong acid and base, but the excess H2SO4 concentration must be recalculated using the total volume of the solution.
MichaelXY
[SOLVED] pH of solution

Homework Statement

What is the pH of a solution in which 30.0mL of 0.010 M NaOH are added to 10.0mL of .010 M H2SO4?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So first thing I did was write the equation.

2NaOH + H2SO4 ----> Na2SO4 + 2H2O

I never used this equation after this which makes me think I already messed up. I perform the following:

.03L(.010M) = 3*10^-4 mol NaOH
.01L(.010M) = 1*10^-4 mol H2SO4

I then compute concentration of H2SO4 by: 1*10^-4/.01L = .01
pH = -log(.01) = 2.0 pH
I suspect I am missing something here. Any pointers?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks good until the last calculation. It's a strong acid mixed with strong base, so the moles of each will neutralize each other until one runs out. You will then be left with an excess acid or base. However, the concentration of this acid or base is now more dilute because you now have added the solutions together, which adds their respective volumes together. Now you can figure out how this affects the last step. The excess H2SO4 concentration is the number of excess moles divided by total volume, not just by its initial volume.

Good job on setting up the equation and calculating the moles of NaOH and H2SO4. However, you are missing the fact that NaOH is a strong base and H2SO4 is a strong acid. This means that they will completely dissociate in water, leading to a neutralization reaction. The products of this reaction will be a salt (Na2SO4) and water (H2O).

To solve for the pH, you need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:

pH = pKa + log([base]/[acid])

Since NaOH is a strong base, it will fully dissociate, leaving only the H2SO4 as the acid. The pKa value for H2SO4 is -3.

pH = -3 + log([1*10^-4]/[3*10^-4])
pH = -3 + log(0.333)
pH = -3 + (-0.477)
pH = -3.477

Therefore, the pH of the solution after the addition of NaOH is 3.477.

Related to Solving pH of Solution After NaOH Addition

1. What is the purpose of determining the pH of a solution after adding NaOH?

The purpose of determining the pH of a solution after adding NaOH is to understand the changes in the solution's acidity or basicity. This information is important in many scientific experiments and processes, as well as in everyday applications such as water treatment.

2. How does adding NaOH affect the pH of a solution?

Adding NaOH to a solution increases the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-) in the solution. These hydroxide ions react with the hydrogen ions (H+) present in the solution, resulting in a decrease in the overall acidity and an increase in pH.

3. What is the relationship between the amount of NaOH added and the change in pH?

The amount of NaOH added directly affects the change in pH. The more NaOH added, the greater the concentration of hydroxide ions in the solution, and the greater the change in pH. This relationship is described by the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

4. How do you calculate the pH of a solution after adding NaOH?

The pH of a solution after adding NaOH can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the initial pH of the solution, the concentration of the acid or base, and the pKa or pKb of the acid or base. Alternatively, pH meters or indicators can be used to measure the pH directly.

5. Why is it important to maintain a specific pH in certain experiments or processes?

Maintaining a specific pH is important in many experiments and processes because it can greatly affect the outcome or efficiency of the process. For example, in biological systems, enzymes have specific pH ranges in which they function optimally. In industrial processes, maintaining a specific pH can prevent corrosion or promote the desired chemical reactions.