Solving Physics Exams: 1 Question, Need Help!

• Thread starter leenix
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's upcoming physics exams and their efforts to learn the basics before the exam. They also mention having trouble with a review problem involving a box on a floor with friction and a person pulling it with a force at an angle. They need help finding the normal force and calculating the acceleration of the box. Suggestions are given, such as analyzing the vertical components of forces and using trigonometry to find the necessary forces.
leenix
My physics exams are on monday.
I'm going to a univecity and I've never seriously studied physics up to now. I'm making baby steps into learning some of the basics I've never learned.

I've got this one Review Problem I'm having problems solving.

Info : g=10ms^-2 Sin30=0.5 Cos30=0.866

A box of mass m = 50 kg is initially at rest at point A on a floor with coefficient of kinetic friction μk = 0.1 (see figure below). A person starts pulling the box for a distance Δx = 40 m (from point A to point B) with a force FP = 100 N which acts at a 30o angle as shown in the figure and the box moves horizontally.

a) Draw the free-body diagram of all forces acting on the box

Drawing the Free body diagram is easy, i don't need help on this one actually.

b) Find the normal force FN on the box

Need help :(

c) Find the friction force Ffr on the box

If i'd only knew how to find FNormal :(

d) Calculate the acceleration a of the box

a=FNormal / m ( m = mass )
Sin30= FpY/FP = 0.5 (FPY, Y is the Y axis )

Cos30=FPX/FP = 0.866 (FPX, X is the X axis )

Here on there's supposed to be a way to Convert the above results to Newton Force.
I don't know how to do that :S

Anyway i need help with these, could someone help me ? :S

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the normal force, analyze the vertical components of the forces acting on the box. What must they add to?

To find the acceleration, apply Newton's 2nd law in the horizontal direction. What's the net force on the box?

the string applies force vertically and horizontally based on the angle. Use trig to find teh forces.

Related to Solving Physics Exams: 1 Question, Need Help!

1. How should I prepare for a physics exam?

Preparing for a physics exam involves reviewing class notes, completing practice problems, and understanding key concepts and equations. It is also important to get enough rest and exercise leading up to the exam to keep your mind and body in top shape.

2. What topics are typically covered on a physics exam?

Physics exams typically cover a range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and waves and optics. It is important to review all topics thoroughly to ensure that you are prepared for any type of question that may arise.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for a physics exam?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it is important to practice solving different types of physics problems. Start with simple problems and gradually work your way up to more difficult ones. It can also be helpful to break down problems into smaller steps and to review any mistakes you make to learn from them.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid on a physics exam?

Some common mistakes to avoid on a physics exam include not showing your work, not carefully reading the question, and not paying attention to units. It is also important to double-check your calculations and make sure they are accurate.

5. How can I manage my time effectively during a physics exam?

To manage your time effectively during a physics exam, it is important to read through all of the questions first and prioritize which ones you feel most confident answering. It can also be helpful to budget your time for each question, and to leave some extra time at the end to review your answers and make any necessary changes.