Solving Physics Homework: Force of Friction & Work Done

In summary, Joe exerts 11400 J of energy to drag a crate 25 m across the floor at a constant speed. The rope making a 48 degree angle with the horizontal means that the force exerted on the crate is equal to the horizontal component of the rope's force. The force of friction acting on the crate is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction multiplied by the weight of the crate. The work done by the floor through the force of friction between the floor and the crate can be calculated using the equation W=Fd, where F is the force of friction and d is the distance the crate was dragged. To maintain constant velocity, the net force in the x-direction must be zero, meaning that the force of friction
pebbles

Homework Statement

Joe puts 11400 J of energy to drag crate 25 m across floor with constant speed. Rope makes 48 degree angle with horizontal.
Force exerted by the rope on the crate?
What is the force of friction acting on the crate to impede its motion?
What work is done by the floor through the force of friction between floor and the crate?

Homework Equations

See #3.

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I thought I would need to calculate the horizontal component with the 25 m and 48 degree angle and the cosine function, but got the wrong answer.
b. Ffriction=coefficient of kinetic frictionmg. But I don't know mass, so I'm not sure what equation I'd use.
c. W=Fd...Need to correctly calculate part b.

I'd appreciate any help. I'm not so good at physics, so it'd help if you really explain.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
3a: Can you explain more clearly what exactly you're doing with the horizontal component and the 25m and the 48 degree angle and the cosine function? The hint in the question here is that he's done 11.4kJ of work. Work can only be done where there is displacement (i.e. in the x-direction).

3b-c: I'd consider these somewhat "trick" questions for the answers are not hard to get if you have a good conceptual understanding of work. What conditions in the x-direction must be satisfied for there to be constant velocity (no acceleration)? What does the free body diagram in the x-direction look like?

Hello Joe, great job on attempting to solve the problem. Let's go through each part one by one.

a. To calculate the force exerted by the rope on the crate, we need to use the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the crate, and a is the acceleration of the crate. In this case, the crate is moving at a constant speed, so its acceleration is 0. Therefore, the force exerted by the rope on the crate is also 0.

b. To find the force of friction, we need to use the formula Ffriction=coefficient of kinetic friction * normal force. The normal force is the force exerted by the floor on the crate, which is equal to the weight of the crate (mg). We do not know the mass of the crate, but we can calculate it using the given information about the energy and distance. We know that work done (W) is equal to force (F) multiplied by distance (d), so we can rearrange the equation to find the mass of the crate: m = W/d. Plugging in the values, we get m = 11400 J / 25 m = 456 kg. Now we can calculate the force of friction: Ffriction = 0.25 * 456 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 1122.6 N.

c. The work done by the floor through the force of friction is equal to the force of friction multiplied by the distance the crate traveled, so W = Ffriction * d = 1122.6 N * 25 m = 28065 J.

I hope this helps explain the process and equations used to solve this problem. Keep practicing and you'll become more comfortable with physics concepts. Good luck with your homework!

FAQ: Solving Physics Homework: Force of Friction & Work Done

What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is the resistance force that acts between two surfaces in contact and opposes the motion or attempted motion of one surface over the other.

How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a constant that depends on the materials in contact) by the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surfaces in contact).

What is work done?

Work done is the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and the object is displaced in the direction of the force.

How is work done calculated?

Work done is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which the force is applied, in the direction of the force.

How are force of friction and work done related?

Force of friction and work done are related because the force of friction is a type of force that can do work, and work done can also result in the generation of a force of friction.