Solving Pot Roast & Math Problems: A Walkthrough

• MHB
  • Thread starter Cuberoot1
  • Start date
In summary, the formula for calculating the number of hours needed to cook a pot roast that weighs p pounds is h = 0.9p^0.6. If pot roast A weighs twice as much as pot roast B, then roast A should be cooked for a period of time that is twice as long as roast B. For the second problem, if the original expression is (x^4-n • y^n+4 / xy^n-4)^2, then the simplified version is x^2(4-n-1) • y^2(n+4-(n-4)).
Cuberoot1
Could somebody give me a walkthrough for this problem?

The number of hours h needed to cook a pot roast that weighs p pounds can be approximated by using the formula h = 0.9p^0.6.

b. If pot roast A weighs twice as much as pot roast B, then roast A should be cooked for a period of time that is how many times longer than the time required for roast B to cook?

Also.

I'm stuck in this problem.

( x^4-n • y^n+4 / xy^n-4 )^2

I think this is next.

( x^4-n-n-4 • y^n+4-n-4 )^2

If I'm right, what now? If I'm wrong, what did I do wrong? If I could have written my problem in a better way that is easier to understand, then please tell me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Cuberoot said:
Could somebody give me a walkthrough for this problem?

The number of hours h needed to cook a pot roast that weighs p pounds can be approximated by using the formula h = 0.9p^0.6.

b. If pot roast A weighs twice as much as pot roast B, then roast A should be cooked for a period of time that is how many times longer than the time required for roast B to cook?
Good evening,

If \(\displaystyle h_B=0.9 \cdot p^{0.6}\) then you only have to replace p by the weight of A relative to B. Afterwards simplify a little bit.

Also.

I'm stuck in this problem.

( x^4-n • y^n+4 / xy^n-4 )^2

I think this is next.

( x^4-n-n-4 • y^n+4-n-4 )^2

If I'm right, what now? If I'm wrong, what did I do wrong? If I could have written my problem in a better way that is easier to understand, then please tell me.

If you mean:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{x^{4-n} \cdot y^{n+4}}{x \cdot y^{n-4}}\right)^2\)

and you want to use the power rules then you should come out with

\(\displaystyle x^{2(4-n-1)} \cdot y^{2(n+4-(n-4))}\)

Simplify!

Last edited:

FAQ: Solving Pot Roast & Math Problems: A Walkthrough

1. How does solving pot roast problems relate to math?

The process of solving pot roast problems involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This is similar to the approach used in solving math problems, where you break down a complex equation or concept into smaller steps to solve it.

2. Can solving pot roast problems improve my math skills?

Yes, solving pot roast problems can help improve your math skills. It teaches you how to approach a problem systematically, break it down into smaller parts, and find a solution. These are important skills in math as well.

3. How do I apply the pot roast method to math problems?

The pot roast method can be applied to math problems by following these steps: 1) Understand the problem, 2) Identify the key information, 3) Break down the problem into smaller parts, 4) Solve each part individually, and 5) Put the parts together to find the solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the pot roast method to solve math problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the pot roast method include: 1) Not understanding the problem fully, 2) Skipping steps and not breaking down the problem into smaller parts, 3) Not checking your work for errors, and 4) Not using the correct formulas or equations.

5. Can the pot roast method be used for all types of math problems?

Yes, the pot roast method can be applied to all types of math problems. It is a general problem-solving approach that can be used for any type of problem, whether it is algebra, geometry, or calculus.