Solving Probability of Marbles

• Thread starter ParisSpart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the probability of selecting a marble with a greater number from an opaque bag of 10 numbered marbles and another bag of 20 numbered marbles. The conversation includes various methods for solving the problem, such as considering each value of the first marble separately and counting the possibilities. The final answer is 45/200 or 0.225, and the conversation also mentions another quiz on probability.
ParisSpart
I have another quiz and i am wondering how to solve this:

In an opaque bag 10 are identical marbles numbered from 1 to 10 and in another there are 20 identicalbe marbles numbered from 1 to 20. Take a marble at random from the bag and the first one from the second. All results of this experiment are equally possible (uniform distribution).

What is the probability the first marble indicates a number greater than the second marble?

I think that N(Ω)=200 but i can't find the N(A) for finding this P(A)=N(A)/N(Ω) even i think that mthis way maybe is not correct...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ParisSpart! :smile:

I don't think there's any really simple way of doing this …

I think you'll have to consider each value M1 of the first marble separately, and sum the P(M2 < M1 | M1 = n) for each value of n. :wink:

(alternatively, there is a way that starts by calculating P(M1 = M2), and then just uses common-sense! o:))

i tried this but i can't do anything...

ParisSpart said:
i tried this but i can't do anything...

show us how far you got :smile:

the problem is that in school we don't have learn this type yet. that's why i think that the result comes out from the classic type of P(A)...but i am stucked!

ok, then just do it by counting …

i] how many possibilities are there altogether?

i] then list all the possibilities with M1 > M2, and count them …

what do you get? :smile:

its 45/200 thanks a lot , maybe u can help me in anither quiz ? i uploaded yesterday with theme probability quiz... thanks!

ParisSpart said:
its 45/200

correct! :smile:

here's another way of counting to get 45, just using common-sense …

(there's usually several ways of counting the same thing :wink:)

ignore the ones with M2 > 10

that only leaves 100

subtract the ones with M1 = M2: obviously that's 10

so that leaves you only 90 with M1 ≠ M2 and both ≤ 10 …

obviously exactly half of those 90 must have M1 > M2 ! :biggrin:

are you ok on the other thread (seems to have disappeared)?

to write a function from {1,2,3…n} to {1,2,3…m}, you have to specify what f(1) is, what f(2) is, what f(3) is, … … … what f(n) is

once you've done all of that, the function is uniquely defined

so how many functions are there altogether (in terms of n and m)? :smile:

(if you're confused, try it for n = 2 first)

Related to Solving Probability of Marbles

What is the probability of drawing a specific color marble from a bag?

The probability of drawing a specific color marble from a bag can be calculated by dividing the number of marbles of that color by the total number of marbles in the bag. For example, if there are 10 red marbles and 20 blue marbles in a bag, the probability of drawing a red marble would be 10/30 or 1/3.

How do you calculate the probability of multiple events occurring in succession?

To calculate the probability of multiple events occurring in succession, you multiply the individual probabilities of each event. For example, if the probability of drawing a red marble from a bag is 1/3 and the probability of drawing a blue marble after that is 1/4, the overall probability would be 1/3 x 1/4 = 1/12.

Can the probability of drawing a specific color marble change if marbles are removed from the bag?

Yes, the probability of drawing a specific color marble can change if marbles are removed from the bag. For example, if a red marble is removed from the bag, the probability of drawing a red marble would decrease because there are now fewer red marbles in the bag, making the chances of drawing one lower.

How does the number of marbles in a bag affect the probability of drawing a specific color marble?

The number of marbles in a bag affects the probability of drawing a specific color marble because it changes the total number of marbles and therefore the chances of drawing a particular color. As the number of marbles in the bag increases, the probability of drawing a specific color marble decreases.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual results from an experiment or real-life situation. Theoretical probability is often used to predict outcomes, while experimental probability is used to analyze actual data.