Solving Probability w/ Cards: Answers & Explanations

In summary, the box contains 50 index cards with 5 each of the letters A and E, 7 of H, 10 of M, 3 of S, and 20 of T. When one card is selected and replaced, the probability of selecting two A's is 0.01, and the probability of neither card being a vowel is 0.028. When one card is selected and not replaced, the probability of selecting two A's is 0.008163, and the probability of neither card being a vowel is 0.023265. However, it is recommended to reduce the fractions before using the special multiplication rule to minimize the risk of error.
CosmoK123456
I just want to make sure I have these answers right... if they are not can you please explain how to get the right answer. The wording of the question is what gets me confused with probability.
A box contains 50 index cards. One letter is written on each card. There are
5 cards with the letter A
5 cards with the letter E
7 cards with the letter H
10 cards with the letter M
3 cards with the letter S
20 cards with the letter T

If one card is selected, replaced, and a second card selected, determine:

a) p(both A)
I have: 25/2500 = .01

b) p(neither is a vowel)
I have: 70/2500= .028If one card is selected, not replaced, and second card selected, determine:

a) p(both A)
I have: 20/2450= .008163

b) p(neither is a vowel)
I have: 57/2450= .023265Thanks for the help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
CosmoK123456 said:
I just want to make sure I have these answers right... if they are not can you please explain how to get the right answer. The wording of the question is what gets me confused with probability.
A box contains 50 index cards. One letter is written on each card. There are
5 cards with the letter A
5 cards with the letter E
7 cards with the letter H
10 cards with the letter M
3 cards with the letter S
20 cards with the letter T

If one card is selected, replaced, and a second card selected, determine:

a) p(both A)
I have: 25/2500 = .01

b) p(neither is a vowel)
I have: 70/2500= .028

How the heck did you get get that?
There are 40 non-vowels.

I would also recommend reducing the fractions before applying the special multiplication rule. Keeping it simple reduces the risk of error. :D

Related to Solving Probability w/ Cards: Answers & Explanations

What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is usually expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How is probability calculated?

In the context of cards, probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if a deck of cards has 52 cards, the probability of drawing a spade would be 13 (the number of spades) divided by 52, which equals 0.25 or 25%.

What is the difference between theoretical probability and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes a large number of trials. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is based on actual data collected from a limited number of trials. The two may not always be equal, but they should approach each other as the number of trials increases.

What is a deck of cards?

A deck of cards is a set of 52 playing cards, divided into four suits (clubs, diamonds, hearts, and spades) with each suit having 13 cards (Ace, 2-10, Jack, Queen, and King).

How can probability be used in card games?

Probability can be used in card games to determine the likelihood of certain events happening, such as drawing a certain card or getting a specific hand. It can also be used to make strategic decisions and improve one's chances of winning.