Solving Problem 14.18: An Airplane and Helicopter Collision

In summary, the problem at hand involves a collision between a small airplane and a helicopter, resulting in the helicopter breaking into two pieces. The coordinates of the two fragments and the wreckage of the airplane are given, and the task is to determine the coordinates of the second fragment of the helicopter. To solve this problem, one must first find the location of the center of mass on the ground, using the equations that relate the final positions of the exploded particles to the position the center of mass would follow assuming no explosion. From there, the velocity components of the center of mass can be determined, and by using the concept of conservation of momentum, the time it takes for the center of mass to travel after the collision can be calculated, leading to the
jaredogden

Homework Statement

The problem I must complete is problem 14.18

14.17 A small airplane of mass 1500 kg and a helicopter of mass 3000 kg
flying at an altitude of 1200 m are observed to collide directly
above a tower located at O in a wooded area. Four minutes earlier
the helicopter had been sighted 8.4 km due west of the tower and
the airplane 16 km west and 12 km north of the tower. As a result
of the collision the helicopter was split into two pieces, H1 and H2,
of mass m1 5 1000 kg and m2 5 2000 kg, respectively; the airplane
remained in one piece as it fell to the ground. Knowing that the
two fragments of the helicopter were located at points H1 (500 m,
2100 m) and H2 (600 m, 2500 m), respectively, and assuming
that all pieces hit the ground at the same time, determine the
coordinates of the point A where the wreckage of the airplane will
be found.

14.18 In Problem 14.17, knowing that the wreckage of the small airplane
was found at point A (1200 m, 80 m) and the 1000-kg fragment
of the helicopter at point H1 (400 m, 2200 m), and assuming that
all pieces hit the ground at the same time, determine the coordinates
of the point H2 where the other fragment of the helicopter
will be found.

Homework Equations

mr = mrG
mava + mbvb = mav'a + mbv'b

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been racking my brain for hrs on this one.. All I have done so far is find that the velocity of the helicopter is 35 m/s and the velocity of the airplane is 83.33 m/s traveling at a 143.13 degrees from the positive x-axis towards the origin.

I am pretty lost as an approach on this problem, I am thinking I will have to use the equations that relate the exploded particles final positions to the position the center of mass would follow assuming no explosion. I have tried to do this but am only accounting for the helicopter alone and not the impact from the plane.

I am extremely confused and although my attempt is not very close to the answer I could at least use a hint in the right direction if possible.

Physics news on Phys.org

jaredogden said:
I have been racking my brain for hrs on this one.. All I have done so far is find that the velocity of the helicopter is 35 m/s and the velocity of the airplane is 83.33 m/s traveling at a 143.13 degrees from the positive x-axis towards the origin.

I am pretty lost as an approach on this problem, I am thinking I will have to use the equations that relate the exploded particles final positions to the position the center of mass would follow assuming no explosion. I have tried to do this but am only accounting for the helicopter alone and not the impact from the plane.

I am extremely confused and although my attempt is not very close to the answer I could at least use a hint in the right direction if possible.

Yes, first find the location of the center of mass on the ground as you suggest. The impact and fragmentation will not alter the motion of the center of mass thanks to conservation of momentum. What are the velocity components of the center of mass? How long does it "travel" after the collision?

FAQ: Solving Problem 14.18: An Airplane and Helicopter Collision

1. How did the airplane and helicopter collide?

The exact cause of the collision is still under investigation, but it is believed that a miscommunication between air traffic control and the two pilots may have played a role.

2. Were there any survivors?

Unfortunately, there were no survivors from the collision. Both the airplane and helicopter were completely destroyed upon impact.

3. What measures can be taken to prevent similar collisions in the future?

To prevent similar collisions, air traffic control procedures can be improved to ensure clear and accurate communication between pilots and controllers. Pilots and flight crews can also undergo additional training on collision avoidance techniques.

4. Was weather a factor in the collision?

At this time, it does not appear that weather played a significant role in the collision. The weather conditions at the time of the collision were clear and visibility was good.

5. How common are airplane and helicopter collisions?

Airplane and helicopter collisions are rare occurrences, but they do happen. According to the Federal Aviation Administration, there were 106 mid-air collisions in the United States between 2006 and 2016. However, the majority of these collisions involved smaller private planes and not commercial airplanes and helicopters.