Solving Problems Involving Differentiability of a Function

In summary: Since the function is continuous, both of the limits are equal to each other. This means that the function is differentiable at x=1 and x=2.
Yankel
Hello,

How do I solve this kind of problems ?

For which values of x the next function is "differentiable" ?

View attachment 530

I know it has something to do with the existent of the one sided limits, but which limits should I be calculating exactly ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• der.JPG
    der.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 76
Physics news on Phys.org
I would first check for continuity. Is the function continuous over the entire domain?

well it ain't, there is a problem with x=1,2 and I think also x=0

Can you state why you think there are problems at the x-values you give?

checking for continuity is a good idea, but in this particular problem it doesn't rule out any points for us, f is continuous everywhere:

$$\lim_{x \to 1^-} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 1^-} 2 = 2$$
$$\lim_{x \to 1^+} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 1^+} \frac{2}{x^2} = 2$$

so f is continuous at 1.

$$\lim_{x \to 2^-} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 2^-} \frac{2}{x^2} = \frac{2}{4} = \frac{1}{2}$$
$$\lim_{x \to 2^+} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 2^+} \frac{1}{x} = \frac{1}{2}$$

so f is continuous at 2.

there's no problem at 0, f(0) = 2.

instead, you should look at places where the derivative might not exist.

Last edited:
Yankel said:
Hello,

How do I solve this kind of problems ?

For which values of x the next function is "differentiable" ?

View attachment 530

I know it has something to do with the existent of the one sided limits, but which limits should I be calculating exactly ?

Thanks !
Since the question asks about "differentiability" I would think that the obvious first thing to do would be to look up the definition of "differentiable". Fortunately, for a function of a single variable that is simply "has a derivative there" (for functions of more than one variable it is more complicated).

So what is the definition of "the derivative of f(x) at x= a"?

(You are completely wrong when you say the function is not continuous. I think you need to review the basic definitions.)

As stated, the function has no discontinuities. So next, check to see if:

$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to1^-}f'(x)=\lim_{x\to1^+}f'(x)$

and

$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to2^-}f'(x)=\lim_{x\to2^+}f'(x)$

What do you find and what is your conclusion?

Related to Solving Problems Involving Differentiability of a Function

1. What is the definition of differentiability of a function?

Differentiability of a function refers to the property of a function to have a well-defined derivative at a given point. In other words, the function must have a unique tangent line at that point.

2. How do I determine if a function is differentiable at a certain point?

To determine differentiability at a specific point, you need to check if the left and right-hand limits of the function exist and are equal at that point. If they are, then the function is differentiable at that point.

3. What is the relationship between continuity and differentiability?

A function must be continuous at a given point in order to be differentiable at that point. However, a continuous function may not necessarily be differentiable at every point.

4. Can a function be differentiable but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable at a point if it is not continuous at that point. Differentiability requires continuity, but not vice versa.

5. How does differentiability affect the behavior of a function?

Differentiability allows us to analyze the slope of a function at a specific point, which can help us understand the behavior of the function near that point. It also helps us determine the maximum and minimum values of a function at a given point.