Solving problems involving forces

• Thread starter afifbaha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the barge's final velocity is 1.2exponent4 N after being pulled by the tug for 10 seconds.
afifbaha

Homework Statement

A loaded barge has a mass of 1.5exponent6 kg and its traveling at 3 metres per second. If a tugboat applies an opposing force of 1.2exponent4 N for 10s

What is it final velocity?
How long does it take to stop

Homework Equations

F = ma
F = m(v-u)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post your attempt at a solution.

CWatters said:
Please post your attempt at a solution.
Ive subtituted all the values given in the formula. From then, i couldn't figure out the next step

It's best NOT to substitute values at the outset. The problem asks for the final velocity. Try rearranging the second equation to give an equation for the final velocity. Show your working.

CWatters said:
It's best NOT to substitute values at the outset. The problem asks for the final velocity. Try rearranging the second equation to give an equation for the final velocity. Show your working.
So can i substitute F on the second equation with the value of N given in the question. It says that it is an opposing force. So i have to do F-N = m(v-u)/t. Right? Then i will have 2 unknowns F and V. What now?

No it's easier than that. The "N" in the question just stands for Newtons the unit of force not another variable.

|F| = 1.2 * 104 Newtons

Actually you need to think about the sign.

The second question is a bit unclear. I think it means, how long will it take to stop if the same force continues?

Likes CWatters
I think haruspex is right that the question is asking how long it will take to stop if the same opposing force from the tugboat continues. The reason is because I think this problem is intended to be equivalent to an object sliding on a frictionless surface. In reality, a barge and a tugboat is not that situation because of the varying resistance of the water. So I think a barge and tugboat is really not a good choice for a problem of this nature.

I also had to look up the equation F = m(v - u)/t because I didn't know what it meant. Maybe I am revealing my age, but I remember V = Vo + at, which would rearrange to F = m(V-Vo)/t. But afifbaha, please use the equation that you listed and are familiar with: F = m(v-u)/t

So as CWatters said, try rearranging the equation to solve for the unknown.
In the first part of the problem, the final velocity is the unknown. In the second part of the problem, the final velocity is given and time is the unknown.

And like CWatters pointed out, 'N' is not a variable; it is a symbol for Newtons - a unit of force, like 'lb' for pounds.

Sorry to be so wordy, but this is my very first post after my introduction.
~ inept new guy

I suggest to use momentum & impuls equation

Actually your second equation is the simple impuls equation,
You can solve the first question with your second equation, just subtitute and solve...

I think we should let the OP attempt the problem again offering more help.

I knew that N is Newtons. What i was saying was for F in F=ma, the F is net force which means it has to be subtracted with any other forces. In this case it has to be subtracted with the opposing force right? That is what i meant.

Ok sorry about that.

As far as I can see the tug is the only force acting on the barge - at least no other forces are stated in the problem.

Ya that's what i was figuring out. Anybody else could help?

afifbaha said:
Ya that's what i was figuring out. Anybody else could help?
CWatters is saying (and I agree) that you should consider the tug's arresting pull as the only horizontal force on the barge. Of course, in reality, there would be drag from the water, but that would be very small in comparison.

Related to Solving problems involving forces

1. What are the different types of forces?

The different types of forces include applied force, gravity, friction, normal force, tension, and spring force. Applied force is the force applied to an object by another object. Gravity is the force exerted by the Earth on objects. Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces. Normal force is the support force exerted by a surface on an object. Tension is the force in a string or rope when pulled. Spring force is the force exerted by a compressed or stretched spring.

2. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the forces acting on that object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you can simply add them together. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger one. The net force is measured in Newtons (N).

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that objects tend to resist changes in their motion, whether it is starting, stopping, or changing direction.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its motion?

The mass of an object is a measure of its inertia, or resistance to changes in motion. The greater the mass of an object, the more force it will require to change its motion. This means that objects with greater mass will accelerate slower than objects with less mass when acted upon by the same force.

5. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It acts in the opposite direction of the intended motion and can slow down or stop an object's motion. The amount of friction depends on the nature of the surfaces and the force pressing them together. In some cases, friction can be beneficial, such as when it allows us to walk or drive without slipping. In other cases, it can be a hindrance, such as when it causes parts of a machine to wear down.