Solving Problems Using Ratios: Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter Substance D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratios
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ratios in problem solving, specifically in physics. The speaker shares their experience with a problem in their thermodynamics class and how a friend solved it easily using ratios. They then ask for tips on recognizing and solving problems using ratios. Another person suggests looking for closed systems, knowing general laws like the gas law, and using dimensional analysis. The original speaker clarifies their question about using the PV = nRT equation and how it relates to finding the unknown temperature. The conversation ends with the person understanding the concept and thanking the other for their explanation.
Substance D
Hello,

I'm currently in my 2nd year of physics and one thing I've noticed is how often problems can be solved using ratios, for example I had a problem in my thermodynamics class that involved finding a temperature after knowing its pressure and using the triple-point of water and its pressure as a reference point, I had put so much effort into this question and could not understand it, then a friend in my class solved in very easily using ratios. This is something that happens frequently with me (I think I over think the issue), anyways... does anyone have any tips in recognizing this type of problem solving using a ratio?

Thanks
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Look for closed systems.
Know general laws like the gas law.
Recognise opposing effects, eg. temperature and pressure.

Dimensional analysis is also a big help.

I guess the problem I have with it is, if I have two equations, like with this example it was PV = nRT , but in this case I would have that equation twice (one for the totally known system and one for the "half" known system), and since n,R and V are constant I can just ignore them, but what is it that allows me to then say P1/T1 = P2/T2, which is what I did to solve for the unknown temp... does my question make sense, I hope it does

Thanks for the reply

I am not sure if understood your question.
For this example, it is quite simple:
1st state : P1V1/T1 =nR and 2nd state: P2V2/T2 =nR so
P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2
That equation holds for any fixed amount of gas (ideal)
So you can have some other derivative equations :
T = const ==> P1V1=P2V2
V=const ==> P1/T1=P2/T2 etc..

oh, ok, yeah I get it now. thanks :)

FAQ: Solving Problems Using Ratios: Tips & Tricks

1. What is a ratio and how is it used to solve problems?

A ratio is a comparison between two quantities and is usually written as a fraction or with a colon (:). It is used to solve problems by helping us understand the relationship between different quantities, allowing us to make predictions or find missing values.

2. How do I simplify ratios?

To simplify ratios, you need to divide both the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor (GCF). This will result in an equivalent ratio with smaller numbers that is easier to work with.

3. Can ratios be written in different forms?

Yes, ratios can be written in three different forms: as a fraction, with a colon (:), or using the word "to". For example, a ratio of 2:3 can also be written as 2/3 or 2 to 3.

4. What is the difference between a rate and a ratio?

A ratio compares two quantities of the same unit, while a rate compares two quantities of different units. For example, a ratio of 2:3 compares two quantities of the same unit (e.g. 2 red marbles for every 3 blue marbles), while a rate of $2 per hour compares two quantities of different units (e.g. $2 for every 1 hour worked).

5. How can I use ratios to solve real-world problems?

Ratios can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as finding the missing value in a recipe, determining the best deal when shopping, or calculating the distance traveled based on speed and time. By understanding how to set up and solve ratios, you can apply this skill to many different situations in your daily life.