Solving QFT Commutator: Getting Unstuck with Quantum Field Theory

• Thread starter spacelike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving for the commutator in quantum field theory, which involves using integrals to find the commutator between two fields. The integral given is quite large and requires some understanding of quantum mechanics and fields. Ultimately, the last step involves using a Fourier transform to find the delta function, which is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of complex analysis and Fourier analysis before delving into QFT.
spacelike
solving for commutator in QFT

I am just starting to learn quantum field theory. I'm still an undergraduate but I love particle physics and I want to get ahead, so I got the book "introduction to quantum field theory by peskin and schroeder"
I got to page 21 and I'm already stuck at an integral that I've been staring at for a few days now. The book says
"If computations such as this one are unfamiliar to you, please work them out carefully; they are quite easy after a little practice, and are fundamental to the formalism of the next two chapters."

So I don't want to to just move on, I'd like to understand how they do it. It is quite a big integral, but I'm really just hoping that if it really is fundamental to the theory then someone may recognize it and just be able to give me a push in the right direction.

So without further ado, here is the integral:
[tex]\int\frac{d^{3}pd^{3}p^{\prime}}{\left( 2\pi\right)^{6}}\frac{-i}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\omega_{p^{\prime}}}{\omega_{p}}}\left( \left[ a_{-\textbf{p}}^{\dagger},a_{\textbf{p}^{'}}\right] -\left[ a_{\textbf{p}},a_{-\textbf{p}^{'}}^{\dagger}\right]\right) e^{i\left( \textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{x}+\textbf{p}^{\prime}\cdot\textbf{x}^{\prime}\right)}=i\delta^{\left( 3\right)}\left(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}^{\prime}\right)[/tex]
where:
[tex]\left[ a_{\textbf{p}},a_{\textbf{p}^{'}}^{\dagger}\right]=\left( 2\pi\right)^{3}\delta^{\left( 3\right)}\left(\textbf{p}-\textbf{p}^{\prime}\right)[/tex]
and
[tex]\omega_{\textbf{p}}=\sqrt{\left|\textbf{p}\right|^{2}+m^{2}}[/tex]

Basically all the integral is doing is to find the commutator between two fields (sorry if my wording is off, I'm still trying to understand). So in normal quantum mechanics we have the commutator between 'x' and 'p', [itex][x_{i},p_{j}]=i\delta_{ij}[/itex] (with h-bar set to 1). But in relativistic quantum mechanics I guess we need to use fields so they "quantize" x and p, into [itex]\phi(\textbf{x})[/itex] and [itex]\pi(\textbf{y})[/itex], and they express them in terms of integrals. So then to verify that we get a similar commutator as the one for non-relativistic quantum mechanics they multiply those integrals accordingly to find [itex][\phi(\textbf{x}),\pi(\textbf{y})][/itex], and that is exactly what the integral above is, and as shown above they get the answer [itex]i\delta^{(3)}(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}^{\prime})[/itex].

It makes sense because the answer is very similar to the non-relativistic commutator.. But, I just don't see how the above integral works out to this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int\frac{d^{3}pd^{3}p^{\prime}}{\left( 2\pi\right)^{6}}\frac{-i}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\omega_{p^{\prime}}}{\omega_{p}}}\left( \left[ a_{-\textbf{p}}^{\dagger},a_{\textbf{p}^{'}}\right] -\left[ a_{\textbf{p}},a_{-\textbf{p}^{'}}^{\dagger}\right]\right) e^{i\left( \textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{x}+\textbf{p}^{\prime}\cdot\textbf{x}^{\prime}\right)}[/tex]
[tex]=\int\frac{d^{3}pd^{3}p^{\prime}}{\left( 2\pi\right)^{6}}\frac{-i}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\omega_{p^{\prime}}}{\omega_{p}}}\left[-(2\pi)^3\delta(-p-p^\prime)-(2\pi)^3\delta(p+p^\prime)\right] e^{i\left( \textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{x}+\textbf{p}^{\prime}\cdot\textbf{x}^{\prime}\right)}[/tex]
[tex]=\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left( 2\pi\right)^{3}}i\sqrt{\frac{\omega_{p^{\prime}}}{\omega_{p}}}\left[\delta(p+p^\prime)\right] e^{i\left( \textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{x}+\textbf{p}^{\prime}\cdot\textbf{x}^{\prime}\right)}[/tex]
[tex]=\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left( 2\pi\right)^{3}}i\sqrt{\frac{\omega_{p}}{\omega_{-p}}}e^{i\left( \textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{x}-\textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{x}^{\prime}\right)}[/tex]
[tex]=\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left( 2\pi\right)^{3}}i\cdot 1\cdot e^{i \textbf{p}\cdot\left(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}^{\prime}\right)}[/tex]
[tex]=i\delta(x-x^\prime)[/tex]

Last edited:
By [itex]\delta[/itex] I mean [itex]\delta^{(3)}[/itex].

Ahh, now I'm going to kick myself! I actually got exactly that:
[tex]=\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left( 2\pi\right)^{3}}i\cdot 1\cdot e^{i \textbf{p}\cdot\left(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x}^{\prime}\right)}[/tex]

But that's where I stopped because I didn't see how to get the delta function from that, and I still don't.. Now I feel bad because it's probably just a definition or something.. I was trying to mess around with nascent delta functions and seeing if taking a limit of some sort would make any sense.. But no luck

Could you just elaborate a little bit on that last step please?
and thank you very much for your time, I hope it wasn't too much trouble to type all that out.

You're welcome! The last step will become trivial after you've learned Fourier transform. Basically, it says that the Fourier transform of the constant function is the delta function. You need to know Fourier transform and complex analysis before tackling QFT.

Great, that makes sense now thank you.

I have taken some complex analysis, I've just never had a really formal introduction to Fourier analysis, but it's good to know that it will be important for this subject so I can get caught up on that first.

Related to Solving QFT Commutator: Getting Unstuck with Quantum Field Theory

1. What is the commutator in Quantum Field Theory?

The commutator in Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a mathematical operation that measures the difference between two operators. It is used to determine how two physical quantities behave when they are operated on in different orders.

2. Why is solving the commutator important in QFT?

Solving the commutator is important in QFT because it allows us to understand the behavior of quantum fields and their interactions. It also helps us to calculate the dynamics of particles and their interactions, which is crucial in understanding the fundamental principles of the universe.

3. What are some common challenges in solving the QFT commutator?

Some common challenges in solving the QFT commutator include dealing with infinities and divergences, understanding the mathematical formalism of QFT, and handling the complex mathematical equations involved in the calculations.

4. How can one get unstuck while solving the QFT commutator?

One can get unstuck while solving the QFT commutator by seeking help from experienced physicists, consulting relevant textbooks and research papers, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and to be patient and persistent in the problem-solving process.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving the QFT commutator?

Solving the QFT commutator has various applications in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles and their interactions in the physical world. It is used in the development of quantum computers, predicting the behavior of subatomic particles in particle accelerators, and understanding the properties of materials at the atomic level.