Solving quadratic equation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for x in an equation and finding the width of a strip that must be plowed around a rectangular field. The first problem involves using the quadratic formula to find the value of x, while the second problem requires setting up the equation correctly and solving for the width of the strip. The correct solution for the first problem is $x=y+2\pm2\sqrt{y^2+y+1}$ and for the second problem, the width of the strip is approximately 15.51m or exactly $10\left(4-\sqrt{6}\right)$ meters.
paulmdrdo1
please check my answers if they are correct. these problems are even numbered probs in my books that's why I need somebody to check it.

1. solve for x in terms of other symbols

$x^2-2xy-4x-3y^2=0$

using the quadratic formula I get

$x=y+2\pm4\sqrt{y^2+y+1}$

2. what is the width of a strip that must be plowed around a rectangular field 100m long by 60m long wide so that the field will be two-thirds plowed?

let $w=$width around the strip

$60-2w =$ width of the strip
$100-2w =$ length of the strip

so,

$(60-2w)(100-2w)=\frac{2}{3}\times(60)(100)$

the width of the strip is approx. 46.33m

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1.) Check the coefficient of the radical.

2.) You have set the problem up incorrectly, and even so obtained the wrong solution to what you set up. You want the inner rectangle, which represents the unplowed portion, to be 1/3 of the total.

yes, I found my mistake in first problem.

the answer should be $x=y+2\pm2\sqrt{y^2+y+1}$

but in the 2nd how do I set up the problem?

Set it up very similarly to what you did, only equate the inner rectangle to 1/3 of the total rather than 2/3. Do you see why?

let $w=$width of the strip

$60-2w =$ width of the inner rectangle
$100-2w =$ length of the inner rectangle

$(60-2w)(100-2w)=$ area of the inner rectangle(unplowed portion)

so,

$(60-2w)(100-2w)=\frac{1}{3}\times(60)(100)$

$w=15.51m$

is my solution and answer now correct?

Yes, your result is accurate to two decimal places. Unless the instructions were to give an approximate answer, I would give the exact answer:

\(\displaystyle w=10\left(4-\sqrt{6}\right)\)

Related to Solving quadratic equation problem

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called a quadratic equation because the highest power of the variable is 2.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are multiple methods for solving a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The method used depends on the form of the equation and personal preference.

3. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a formula used to solve quadratic equations. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. The ± symbol means that there are two possible solutions, one with a plus sign and one with a minus sign.

4. How do you know if a quadratic equation has real solutions?

A quadratic equation will have real solutions if the discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, is greater than or equal to 0. If the discriminant is negative, the equation will have complex solutions.

5. Can you use the quadratic formula to solve any quadratic equation?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used to solve any quadratic equation, as long as the equation is in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. However, it may not always be the most efficient method to use in certain cases.