Solving Quadratic Equations with Cosine: x= 1.4033+-2npi and x=1.9106+-2npi

• Thread starter solve
  • Start date
In summary, the given problem is a quadratic equation with solutions for x = +/- 1.4033 +/- 2npi and x = +/- 1.9106 +/- 2npi. This is due to the fact that cos(x) = cos(-x), and each solution for cos(x) generates two families of solutions for x. Similarly, for the problem cos4x = 1/2, the solutions are x = +/- pi/12 +/- npi/2 and x = +/- 5pi/12 +/- npi/2, which can be derived using the identity cos(x) = cos(-x). However, it is important to note that the four families of solutions are actually just two families,
solve

Homework Statement

18cos^2x+3cosx-1=0

it's a quadratic equation whose solutions are x= 1.4033+-2npi and x=1.9106+-2npi

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers to this problem are given as x= +-1.4033+-2npi and x=+-1.9106+-2npi

Why are x's both positive and negative?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you're missing another answer i think

4.3725±2npi

cos is an even function.

mtayab1994 said:
I think you're missing another answer i think
4.3725±2npi
That answer is there. It is the same as -1.9106±2npi.

solve said:
18cos^2x+3cosx-1=0

The answers to this problem are given as x= +-1.4033+-2npi and x=+-1.9106+-2npi

Why are x's both positive and negative?

Thanks.
To solve this, first substitute u=cos(x). With this, 18u2+3u-1 is a quadratic with solutions u=cos(x)=1/6 and u=cos(x)=-1/3. Each of these solutions for cos(x) will generate two families of solutions for x because cos(x)=cos(-x).

Note that you will also get four families of solutions for 18sin2x+3sin x + 1 = 0, but now the relevant symmetric is sin(pi-x)=sin(x) rather than cos(x)=cos(-x).

D H said:
That answer is there. It is the same as -1.9106±2npi.

How are those solutions equal?
D H said:
To solve this, first substitute u=cos(x). With this, 18u2+3u-1 is a quadratic with solutions u=cos(x)=1/6 and u=cos(x)=-1/3. Each of these solutions for cos(x) will generate two families of solutions for x because cos(x)=cos(-x).

Note that you will also get four families of solutions for 18sin2x+3sin x + 1 = 0, but now the relevant symmetric is sin(pi-x)=sin(x) rather than cos(x)=cos(-x).

Can I extend the identity cos(x)=cos(-x) to this problem below too?

cos4x=1/2

The answer given in my book: x=pi/12+-npi/2 and x=5pi/12+-npi/2

Can I write: x=+-pi/12+-npi/2 and x=+-5pi/12+-npi/2?

like mindscrape said cos is an even function.

solve said:
How are those solutions equal?
Your solution is [itex]-1.9106\pm2n\pi, n\in\mathbb N[/itex], mtayab1994's is [itex]4.3725\pm2n\pi,n\in\mathbb N[/itex].

First, get rid of the ± in front of the [itex]2n\pi[/itex]. It's not really needed. Just let n range over all the integers instead of over the non-negative integers. Next, change your n to m. No change here; that n or m is just a label. So now we have [itex]-1.9106+2m\pi, m\in\mathbb Z[/itex] versus mtayab1994's [itex]4.3725+2n\pi, n\in\mathbb Z[/itex]. Now set your m to n+1. Again there is no change to the solutions here; your n+1 is still ranging from -∞ to +∞. Your solution becomes [itex]-1.9106+2m\pi = -1.9106+2(n+1)\pi = (2\pi-1.9106) + 2n\pi = 4.3726 + 2n\pi[/itex]. That difference of 0.0001 is just rounding error. They are the same solution.

Can I extend the identity cos(x)=cos(-x) to this problem below too?

cos4x=1/2

The answer given in my book: x=pi/12+-npi/2 and x=5pi/12+-npi/2
Sure. [itex]\cos4x=1/2[/itex] means [itex]4x=\pm\pi/3+2n\pi[/itex], or [itex]x=\pm\pi/12+n\pi/2[/itex]. With a little effort you should be able to show that the [itex]x=-\pi/12+n\pi/2[/itex] family of solutions and the textbook's [itex]x=5\pi/12+n\pi/2[/itex] are one and the same.

Can I write: x=+-pi/12+-npi/2 and x=+-5pi/12+-npi/2?
That is something you should not do. The reason is that your four families of solutions are really just two families.

Thank You. It's a bit over my head, but I'll try and work through it.

Also appreciate all the other answers in this thread.

If we have an answer of, say, 1+2k for k all integers, then this is the same as -1+2k, or 3+2k, or 1001+2k because all these answers are still the same set ...,-3, -1, 1, 3, 5,...

Related to Solving Quadratic Equations with Cosine: x= 1.4033+-2npi and x=1.9106+-2npi

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a polynomial equation of degree 2, and the solutions to the equation are called roots or zeros.

2. How can cosine be used to solve quadratic equations?

Cosine can be used to solve quadratic equations by using the inverse cosine function, also known as arccosine, to find the angles that satisfy the equation. These angles can then be converted into the solutions for x using the given equations x = 1.4033+-2npi and x = 1.9106+-2npi.

3. What does the "n" represent in the equations x = 1.4033+-2npi and x = 1.9106+-2npi?

The "n" in these equations represents any integer value. This is because cosine is a periodic function with a period of 2pi, so the solutions for x will repeat every 2pi. The "n" allows us to find all possible solutions for x.

4. How do you know which solution to use for x?

In quadratic equations, there are usually two solutions for x. In this case, we have x = 1.4033+-2npi and x = 1.9106+-2npi. To determine which solution(s) to use, we can plug in different values for n and see which ones satisfy the original equation. Typically, we use both solutions to fully solve the equation.

5. Are there any other methods for solving quadratic equations with cosine?

Yes, there are other methods for solving quadratic equations with cosine, such as using the quadratic formula or completing the square. However, using cosine to find the solutions may be more efficient in certain cases, especially when dealing with trigonometric identities.