Solving Quantum Mechanical Potential Barrier Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum mechanical problem involving an alpha-particle trapped inside a simplified potential of a uranium core. The transmission coefficient is calculated and the goal is to show that for k*dR >> 1, T ~ K(E)*exp(-2k*dR). The participant also asks for clarification on the possibility of tunneling in an infinite potential. Eventually, it is determined that the correct expression should involve sinh instead of sin, and guidance is requested on where to start.
Pilean
Hi!
I'm struggeling with a quantum mechanical problem.

Homework Statement

An alpha-particle is "trapped" inside a uraniumcore, and the potential is simplified to
0 for R2 < r
V0 for R1<= r <= R2
0 for 0<= r < R1

I have calculated the transmission coefficient T = 1/(1+V02/(4E(V0-E))*sin2(sqrt(2m(V0-E)/hbar*(R1-R2)

I am now supposed to show that for k*dR >> 1, we have
T ~ K(E)*exp(-2k*dR)
Where dR = R2-R1
and k = sqrt(2m(V0-E)/hbar
And tell what K(E) is...

I have tried to use that sinx = (exp(ix)-exp(-ix))/2i, but it won't turn into the right expression..

A small additional question: For a infinate potential, is there any possibility for tunneling into this area? After what I understand from the infinite square well the probability for the particle to be in such a potential is zero?

Hope for some guidence on where to start :)

Physics news on Phys.org
tell me is V0 > E if so then it should be sinh not sin

You are totally correct! Thanks!

Related to Solving Quantum Mechanical Potential Barrier Problem

1. What is a quantum mechanical potential barrier problem?

A quantum mechanical potential barrier problem refers to a situation in which a particle encounters a potential barrier that it must overcome in order to continue its motion. This problem is often encountered in the field of quantum mechanics, where the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level is described by wave functions and probability amplitudes.

2. How is a quantum mechanical potential barrier problem solved?

Solving a quantum mechanical potential barrier problem involves using mathematical equations and principles from quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation and the concept of wave function tunneling. The goal is to determine the probability of the particle passing through the barrier or reflecting off of it.

3. What factors affect the solution to a quantum mechanical potential barrier problem?

The solution to a quantum mechanical potential barrier problem is affected by several factors, including the height and width of the potential barrier, the energy and momentum of the particle, and the shape of the potential barrier.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving quantum mechanical potential barrier problems?

Solving quantum mechanical potential barrier problems has many practical applications in fields such as electronics, solid-state physics, and nuclear physics. For example, it can help in understanding the behavior of electrons in semiconductor devices, the transmission of particles through thin films, and the stability of nuclei in nuclear reactors.

5. Are there any limitations to solving quantum mechanical potential barrier problems?

While quantum mechanics provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving potential barrier problems, there are some limitations. For example, the solutions may be limited to certain types of potential barriers and may not accurately predict the behavior of particles in all situations. Additionally, the calculations involved can be complex and require advanced mathematical skills.