Solving Radicals for A,B,C and D: 2^11-1

• Thread starter ramsey2879
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radicals
In summary: CIn summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding integers A, B, C, and D that satisfy a specific equation. The topic is difficult for the speaker, but they have deduced a solution by studying a recursive sequence. They provide some pointers and further information on the problem, including the fact that the numbers 1, 2^{1/4}, 2^{1/2}, and 2^{3/4} are linearly independent over Q and can be used to split the equation into four equations in four unknowns. The final part of the conversation discusses the potential usefulness of this information in factoring 2^{p} - 1.
ramsey2879
I am weak in this topic but I am certain that the following is has a solution in integers A,B,C,D.

Find A,B,C and D as integers such that

[tex] (3*2^{.75} + 7*2^{.50} + 7*2^{.25} + 7)*(A*2^{.75} + B*2^{.50} + C*2^{.25} + D) = 2047*(2^{.75} + 2^{.50} +2^{.25} + 1) [/tex].

I deduced this by studying the recursive sequence [tex]S^{n} = 3*S_{n-1} - 2*S_{n-2}[/tex] That is {1,3,7,15,31, ...}

Thanks for any pointers.

Physics news on Phys.org
ramsey2879 said:
I am weak in this topic but I am certain that the following is has a solution in integers A,B,C,D.

Find A,B,C and D as integers such that

[tex] (3*2^{.75} + 7*2^{.50} + 7*2^{.25} + 7)*(A*2^{.75} + B*2^{.50} + C*2^{.25} + D) = 2047*(2^{.75} + 2^{.50} +2^{.25} + 1) [/tex].

I deduced this by studying the recursive sequence [tex]S^{n} = 3*S_{n-1} - 2*S_{n-2}[/tex] That is {1,3,7,15,31, ...}

Thanks for any pointers.
Sorry but I couldn't do the math associated with the above problem. I will give an explanation of how I came up with it though. The recursive series [tex]S_{n} = (C+1)*S_{n-1} - C*S_n[/tex] always has embeded within two intermeshed series [tex]A_{i} = S_{2i}[/tex] and [tex]B_{i} = S_{2i +1}[/tex] which both are of the form [tex]S_{n} = (C^{2} + 1)S_{n-1} - C^{2}S_{n-2}[/tex]. In the above series if we let [tex]S_0 = 0[/tex] then [tex]S_i|S_{ni}[/tex]. I correctly deduced that this works recursively both forwards and backwords i.e if we let [tex]C^{'} = C^{2}[/tex] etc. Thus there should is a recursive series where [tex]C = 2^{.25}[/tex] and [tex]S_{44} = 2047S_4[/tex] Indeed If S_0 = 0 and S_1 = 1 then [tex] S_4 = (2^{.75}+2^{.50}+2^{.25} + 1)[/tex] and [tex]S_44 = 2047S_4[/tex].

[tex]S_{11} = 3*2^{.75} + 7*2^{.50} + 7^2^{.25} + 7[/tex] and of course S_11 divides S_44!

The numbers [itex]1, 2^{1/4}, 2^{1/2}, 2^{3/4}[/itex] are linearly independent over Q. Therefore, you can split your equation into four equations in four unknowns, and so you would usually expect to be able to apply linear algebra to compute the unique (rational) solution.

Hurkyl said:
The numbers [itex]1, 2^{1/4}, 2^{1/2}, 2^{3/4}[/itex] are linearly independent over Q. Therefore, you can split your equation into four equations in four unknowns, and so you would usually expect to be able to apply linear algebra to compute the unique (rational) solution.

thanks

solution A= 4, B = 32, C = 256, D = 1

Another question,
My series is of the form [tex]S_{n} = G*S_{n-1} + H*S_{n-2}[/tex] where [tex]S_0}=0[/tex] and [tex]S_{1}=1[/tex].
Also [tex]S_{n} = \{A,B,C,D\} = A + B*2^{1/4}+C2^{1/2} +D2^{3/4}[/tex]
If a = floor n/4 then S_n
=
[tex] \{2^{a}-1,2^{a}-1,2^{a}-1,2^{a}-1\} [/tex], or
[tex] \{2^{a+1}-1,2^{a}-1,2^{a}-1,2^{a}-1\}[/tex], or
[tex]\{2^{a+1}-1,2^{a+1}-1,2^{a}-1,2^{a}-1\}[/tex], or
[tex]\{2^{a+1}-1,2^{a+1}-1,2^{a+1}-1,2^{a}-1\}[/tex], depending upon
the value of n mod 4, as 0,1,2,3 respectively.

If [tex] p = \prime > 3[/tex] then S_3 divides [tex]S_{4p+1}[/tex] or [tex]S_{4p+2}[/tex]

So If p = -1 mod 4 both S_2 and S_3 divide S_(4p+2).

If we allow radicals of the form [tex]2^{1/8}[/tex] then [tex]S_3[/tex] can be factored as [tex](1+2^{1/4} + 2^{1/8})*(1 + 2^{1/4} -2^{1/8})[/tex]
Also S_2 can be factored as (1+2^{1/4})*(1+2^{1/2} and each factor can be also be expressed as the difference of two squares if we allow units in "i".
And of course as I showed earlier S_(2p) divides S_(4p) and S_2 divides both S_2p and S_4p.
Could any of this be useful in factoring 2^{p} -1?

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:

Hurkyl, Really nice! DJ

FAQ: Solving Radicals for A,B,C and D: 2^11-1

What are the basics of solving radicals for A, B, C, and D?

The basics of solving radicals for A, B, C, and D involve understanding the properties of exponents and radicals. In this specific problem, we are dealing with the expression 2^11-1, which can be simplified to (2^11)^1/2-1. This is because the square root of a number raised to a power is equal to the number raised to half of that power. Therefore, we can rewrite the expression as (2^5.5)-1.

How do I solve for A, B, C, and D in this expression?

To solve for A, B, C, and D, we need to know the values of the exponents and the radical. In this case, we know that the exponent is 5.5 and the radical is 2. We can use the inverse operation of raising a number to a power, which is taking the root of a number. Therefore, we can rewrite the expression as (2^5.5)^1/2-1, which simplifies to 2^2.75-1. This can be further simplified to 5.6568-1, giving us a final answer of 4.6568 for A, B, C, and D.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving this type of radical expression?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving this type of radical expression include forgetting to apply the properties of exponents and radicals, not simplifying the expression as much as possible, and making computational errors. It is important to carefully follow the steps to simplify the expression and double-check your calculations to avoid making errors.

Can this expression be solved without using a calculator?

Yes, this expression can be solved without using a calculator by simplifying the expression using the properties of exponents and radicals as mentioned earlier. However, using a calculator can make the process quicker and more accurate, especially for more complicated expressions.

What are some real-life applications of solving radicals for A, B, C, and D?

Solving radicals for A, B, C, and D can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to calculate the square root of a number raised to a power, which can be helpful in solving equations and finding unknown values in real-life scenarios. For example, in physics, it can be used to calculate the speed of an object in motion or the amount of energy needed for a specific task. In finance, it can be used to calculate compound interest and growth rates.

Back