Solving Radioactivity Problems - Half-Life, Decay Constant & More

• Thread starter lando45
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, the conversation is about finding the decay constant, half-life, number of atoms, and activity of a radioactive isotope. The formula A = A_oe^{-\lambda t} is used to calculate the activity of the isotope at different times, while the formula \lambda T_{\frac{1}{2}} = \ln(2) relates the decay constant to the half-life. The formula A = \lambda N can be used to calculate the number of undecayed nuclei with time t.
lando45
Hey,

I am a little stuck with this question I have been set:

"A freshly prepared sample of a certain radioactive isotope has an activity of 9.0 mCi. After 4.00 h, its activity is 7.50 mCi.

(a) Find the decay constant.
(b) Find the half-life.
(c) How many atoms of the isotope were contained in the freshly prepared sample?
(d) What is the sample's activity 30.0 h after it is prepared?"

I have a bunch of radioactivity formulae, but I don't know which one to use, none of them really seem appropriate...

So could point me in the right direction as to how I go about solving these?

Many thanks,
Rory (Lando 45)

Physics news on Phys.org
lando45 said:
Hey,

I am a little stuck with this question I have been set:

"A freshly prepared sample of a certain radioactive isotope has an activity of 9.0 mCi. After 4.00 h, its activity is 7.50 mCi.

(a) Find the decay constant.
(b) Find the half-life.
(c) How many atoms of the isotope were contained in the freshly prepared sample?
(d) What is the sample's activity 30.0 h after it is prepared?"

I have a bunch of radioactivity formulae, but I don't know which one to use, none of them really seem appropriate...

So could point me in the right direction as to how I go about solving these?

Many thanks,
Rory (Lando 45)

Read the questions and jot down the variables it gives you (the 'givens') in one column. Read the question and write down what you're supposed to find in another column. Look at your equations and see which one uses all the givens that you have. start with that one.

Last edited:
The activity decreases exponentially with time [itex]t[/itex] according to
[tex]A=A_oe^{-\lambda t}[/tex]
where [itex]A_o[/itex] is the activity at [itex]t=o[/itex] and [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the required decay constant.
The relation between the decay constant and the half-life [itex]T_{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] is given by
[tex]\lambda T_{\frac{1}{2}} = \ln(2)[/tex]

Hey, thanks for all your help, I've managed to work out parts a), b) and d), but I still have no clue as to how to calculate the answer to part c). The formula I have is:

Number of undecayed nuclei with time t: N = N0e^-decayconstant x time

A useful formula to learn is;

[tex]A = \lambda N[/tex]

-Hoot

Related to Solving Radioactivity Problems - Half-Life, Decay Constant & More

1. What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of a radioactive substance to decay or break down into a more stable form. It is a measure of the rate of decay and is unique to each radioactive element.

2. How is half-life calculated?

Half-life is calculated using the decay constant and the radioactive decay equation, which takes into account the initial amount of the substance, the time elapsed, and the half-life. The formula is: N=N0 x e^(-λt), where N is the remaining amount of substance, N0 is the initial amount, λ is the decay constant, and t is time.

3. What is the decay constant?

The decay constant, denoted as λ, is a measure of the probability of decay per unit time. It is unique to each radioactive element and is used to calculate the rate of decay and half-life.

4. How is radioactive decay measured?

Radioactive decay is measured using a Geiger counter or other radiation detection devices. These instruments detect the emission of radiation from a radioactive substance and can measure the number of radioactive particles present in a given amount of time.

5. How is knowledge of radioactive decay and half-life useful?

Understanding radioactive decay and half-life is crucial in fields such as nuclear energy, medicine, and environmental science. It allows scientists to accurately measure the age of objects, determine the safety and effectiveness of medical treatments, and monitor the impact of radioactive substances on the environment.