Solving Reactions: Predicting Products

• Thread starter mico12345
  • Start date
In summary: And I've also seen other tutorials on the internet that show you how to do this step-by-step, so I'm not completely lost. The BaO(s) + Mg(s) --> Ba + MgO reaction is correct. The CaOH(aq) + HCl (aq) --> CaCl2 + H2O reaction is also correct. The MgCl(aq) + S(s) --> MgS + Cl reaction is incorrect.
mico12345

Homework Statement

The problem statement is: complete each equation by writing the correct products and identifying the type of reaction.

Homework Equations

Here are the revelation equations:

BaO(s) + Mg(s) -->
CaOH(aq) + HCl (aq) -->
MgCl(aq) + S(s) -->

The Attempt at a Solution

OK. Let me start off by saying that the above equations are not going to be graded by my teacher (I'm in Gr 10 Science). We are given home work, but we have to do it anyway in order to understand it for an evaluation at the end of the week. We also don't correct home work in class and aren't given answers which makes it a little more difficult, so I have read what I could find online, and finally signed up here in order to try to get some clarification on some concepts. If you guys could also help me with some follow up questions along the way, that would be great too.

First, I figured the first one would be a single displacement resulting in:
BaO(s) + Mg(s) --> Ba + MgO

my rationale here is that a switch has to take place where a metal (Mg) pairs up with a non-metal (O). I am assuming it's already balanced.

Second one seems to be a double displacement which would result in:
CaOH(aq) + HCl (aq) --> CaCl2 + H2O that would need to be balanced but are the products correct? My understanding is that, once again, a metal to a non-metal.

Third one seems to also be a single displacement with the products being:
MgCl(aq) + S(s) -->MgS + Cl

Are my answers above correct, and if not, could you provide some explanations and tips as to how to correctly predict these products.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
BaO(s) + Mg(s) -->
CaOH(aq) + HCl (aq) -->
MgCl(aq) + S(s) -->

First, I figured the first one would be a single displacement resulting in:
BaO(s) + Mg(s) --> Ba + MgO

my rationale here is that a switch has to take place where a metal (Mg) pairs up with a non-metal (O). I am assuming it's already balanced.

Second one seems to be a double displacement which would result in:
CaOH(aq) + HCl (aq) --> CaCl2 + H2O that would need to be balanced but are the products correct? My understanding is that, once again, a metal to a non-metal.

Third one seems to also be a single displacement with the products being:
MgCl(aq) + S(s) -->MgS + Cl

Your reasoning in the Ba, Mg reaction is unconventional and therefore likely wrong. Can you find reduction potential information to support or reject such a reaction?

Your Ca reaction makes sense only qualitatively. Your reaction is unbalanced.

What kind of reaction are you expecting for Mg and S reaction? What is the charge for Mg solid and what is the charge for a Mg ion? What about the possible charges for the use of S (the sulfur and the ion?)?

If you were more formally studying Chemistry, you would know more clearly how to find answers to some of what you ask. Your teacher should give better instruction about the topic you are currently trying to handle.

One other comment: Whatever you may think of your current assignment or course, do not let it discourage you about science or Chemistry. Some of this stuff becomes much clearer in courses from community colleges and other colleges and universities. The design of your current assignment seems somewhat incompletely developed.

mico12345, welcome to PF!

I thought your reasoning made sense in all three cases. However, some of the formulas for reactants appear to be wrong. I'll suggest double-checking the preferred charge states of:

Ca
OH
Mg
Cl​

Hopefully getting the correct formulas will help with balancing the reactions.

symbolipoint,

I just received an e-mailed from a science teacher online confirming that the answer to this question: "BaO(s) + Mg(s) --> Ba + MgO" was in fact correct.

I appreciate the words of encouragement, though, because right now I'm at a loss as to how to understand this...

I've read my textbook and articles online explaining synthesis, decomposition, single and double displacement reactions. I understand how to spot them, but when it comes to predicting the products based solely on the reactants alone, I am at a loss as to how to do this. There appears to be nothing in the textbook or online that will explain (step by step) how to go about determining a product based solely on the reactants alone. The only thing I could find is this one tutorial that demonstrates very simple single displacement reactions: http://papapodcasts.blogspot.com/2008/10/single-displacement-reactions-1852.html

Redbelly98,

Thanks for the welcome.

I got the formulas for the reactants directly from the work sheet given, so I just assumed they were correct? :confused:

mico12345 said:
I got the formulas for the reactants directly from the work sheet given, so I just assumed they were correct? :confused:

Was CaOH there? Or is it CsOH or Ca(OH)2? First is wrong, both latter are OK.

Related to Solving Reactions: Predicting Products

1. What is the purpose of "Solving Reactions: Predicting Products" in chemistry?

The purpose of solving reactions and predicting products in chemistry is to understand how different substances interact with each other and to determine the outcome of a chemical reaction. This can help scientists to design and create new compounds, as well as to understand and predict the behavior of substances in various situations.

2. How do you solve a chemical reaction and predict the products?

To solve a chemical reaction and predict the products, you must first determine the reactants and the type of reaction taking place. Then, you can use various techniques such as balancing equations, identifying the type of reaction, and using the periodic table to predict the products. It is important to follow specific rules and guidelines to ensure accurate predictions.

3. What are the different types of reactions that can be solved and predicted?

There are five main types of reactions that can be solved and predicted: synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, and combustion. Each type of reaction follows specific rules and can be identified by the reactants and products involved.

4. Are there any limitations to solving reactions and predicting products?

While solving reactions and predicting products can provide valuable insights and understanding in chemistry, there are also limitations to this process. These include the possibility of unexpected outcomes, lack of complete information, and variations in reaction conditions that may affect the results.

5. How can solving reactions and predicting products be useful in real-world applications?

Solving reactions and predicting products have numerous real-world applications, such as in drug development, material synthesis, and environmental studies. It allows scientists to design and create new substances for specific purposes, understand and improve industrial processes, and study the impact of chemical reactions on the environment. It also plays a crucial role in everyday life, from food and medicine production to energy production and waste management.