Solving REF192 IC Problem for ADC, Instrumentation Amps

• Thread starter j777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ic
In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of a REF192 from Analog Devices to provide a 2.5V reference to an ADC and two instrumentation amplifiers. The circuit was initially working but the output voltage drifted up after a minute and remained there until power was removed and reapplied. The problem was eventually traced to a faulty instrumentation amplifier, possibly caused by electrostatic discharge. Wearing a grounding wrist strap or periodically grounding oneself can prevent such issues when working with open, powered-up circuitry.
j777
Hello,

I am using a REF192 from Analog devices to provide a 2.5V reference to an ADC (Analog devices AD7718) and two instrumentation amps (Linear Tech. LT1167). The VIN pin is connected to a 5V supply and has a 10uF tantalum cap and a .1uF ceramic cap in parallel. The VOUT pin also has a 10uF tantalum cap and a .1uF ceramic cap in parallel. The SLEEP pin is tied to VIN. For some reason when the circuit initially gets power a clean 2.5V can be read on VOUT but after about a minute it rises to about 3V and remains there until the power is removed and reapplied. So far I replaced the REF192 but the problem still exists. What could be causing this?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the doc it looks like you have it hooked up ok.
Try disconecting the output from the rest of the circuit and see if the problem still occurs. Something could be wrong elsewhere.

Does the device get hot to the touch when this happens? If so, suspect a fault in the output circuit as NoTime suggests.

It sounds a bit like there is something going on with the SLEEP~ pin over time. Are you sure it is tied to a hard 5V? Have you probed the SLEEP~ pin when the output drifts up like that? What is the load that is tied to the output pin? If it can turn into a pullup for some reason, the Vref output will no longer be determining the output voltage. That is true of most power supply circuits -- they function as pullups to a pull-down load. If the load pulls the Vout up somehow, the power supply output has no capability to pull the Vout down into regulation.

The device never got hot and the voltage on the sleep pin remained the same at all times. One of the instrumentation amps turned out to be the culprit. I've replaced it and so far the reference voltage has remained at 2.5V and everything seems to be working. As is the case with any problem like this I'd love to know what exactly was causing it within the instrumentation amp but for now I'm glad it's fixed.

Thanks berkeman for your explanation on the possibility of the output being pulled up by something; it's very likely that this is what was happening. Also thank you NoTime; I did as you suggested first and found that the problem was gone which prompted me to replace the instrumentation amp.

Last edited:
j777 said:
As is the case with any problem like this I'd love to know what exactly was causing it within the instrumentation amp but for now I'm glad it's fixed.

Glad that you're past that problem. One possible explanation (and something to watch out for in general) would be that you might have hit the amp input pin at some point with enough of an electrostatic discharge (ESD) zap, that it latched up and damaged that input pin structure. You have to be careful when you work with open, powered-up circuitry like that. Normally a product is closed up and the circuit boards are protected, with explicit ESD protection on any IOs that are user-touchable. But when you work with an open circuit board, and it is powered up, then even a small ESD hit from your finger or a tool you are holding can cause a latchup of a device, which can cause it to soft fail (where it works again after a power cycle), damage itself so even a power cycle doesn't fix it, or just plain smoke (if it draws enough current from the power supply).

You can wear a grounding wrist strap (which should always be worn when working with regular production devices that will ship to customers), or in the R&D Lab environment, you can just be careful about grounding yourself periodically, and especially as you are about to start probing or touching an open circuit board. You can ground yourself by touching any grounded piece of metal, like an unpainted part of a metal chassis for an instrument that has a 3-prong power plug.

j777 said:
Also thank you NoTime; I did as you suggested first and found that the problem was gone which prompted me to replace the instrumentation amp.
Glad to be of assistance :smile:

FAQ: Solving REF192 IC Problem for ADC, Instrumentation Amps

1. What is the REF192 IC and what is its role in solving ADC and Instrumentation Amp problems?

The REF192 is a precision voltage reference integrated circuit (IC) that provides a stable and accurate voltage reference for use in analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) and instrumentation amplifiers. It ensures that the input signals are accurately converted or amplified by providing a stable reference voltage.

2. What are the common problems associated with the REF192 IC in ADC and Instrumentation Amp circuits?

Some common problems with the REF192 IC include noise, drift, and temperature sensitivity. Noise can affect the accuracy of the reference voltage, while drift and temperature sensitivity can cause the reference voltage to vary over time and with changes in temperature.

3. How can I troubleshoot and solve problems with the REF192 IC in my ADC and Instrumentation Amp circuits?

To troubleshoot and solve problems with the REF192 IC, you can start by checking the connections and ensuring that the IC is properly powered. You can also use a multimeter to measure the output voltage and compare it to the expected reference voltage. If the voltage is not within the specified range, the IC may be faulty and need to be replaced. You can also try using external components, such as capacitors, to reduce noise and stabilize the reference voltage.

4. Are there any specific precautions I should take when using the REF192 IC in my circuit?

Yes, there are a few precautions to keep in mind when using the REF192 IC. It is important to ensure that the IC is not exposed to high temperatures, as this can affect its accuracy. It is also recommended to use a bypass capacitor to reduce noise. Additionally, care should be taken to avoid any voltage spikes or transients that could damage the IC.

5. Can I use the REF192 IC in other types of circuits besides ADC and Instrumentation Amps?

Yes, the REF192 IC can be used in other types of circuits that require a precise and stable voltage reference. This includes data converters, digital-to-analog converters, and precision instrumentation circuits. It can also be used as a voltage reference for power supplies and voltage regulators.