Solving Refractive Indexes Homework: Wavelength & Index of Refraction

• Thread starter anotherperson
  • Start date
In summary, the index of refraction of the glass can be found using Snell's law, which states that n1sin(angle1) = n2sin(angle2). Substituting the given values, we get 632.8sin32 = n2sin21. The refractive index of vacuum is 1 and solving for n2 gives a value of approximately 1.524. The wavelength of light in the glass can then be found using the equation wavelength1/wavelength2 = n1/n2, which gives a value of approximately 414.47 nm.
anotherperson

Homework Statement

A beam of light from a laser in a vacuum has a wavelength of 632.8nm and is incident on the surface of a glass slab. In the vacuum the beam make an angle of 32degrees witht the normal to the surface, while in the glass is makes an angle of 21.0degrees with the normal.

a)what is the index of refraction of the glass?

b)what is the wavelength of light in the glass?

Homework Equations

snell's law

wavelength1/wavelength2=n1/n2

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the wavelength is 632.8 so i tried subbing them into snells law and got
632.8sin32=n2sin21
but the answer i got couldn't be right, its 243 and this could be the refractive index.

hellppp!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check what is Snell's law exactly.

ehild

snell's law= n1sinangle1=n2singangle2

It is OK, but 632.8 nm is wavelength, not refractive index. What is the refractive index of vacuum?

ehild

the only other information i have is the speed of light in vacuum which is 3x10^8

And how is the refractive index defined?

ehild

when vi=c do you make it
sinangle=nsinangle and solve for n?

yes.ehild

thanks for your help!

sin32=nsin21 just writing it here so i remember when i come back

anotherperson said:
sin32=nsin21 just writing it here so i remember when i come back

Yes, evaluate.

ehild

yep, thanks!

FAQ: Solving Refractive Indexes Homework: Wavelength & Index of Refraction

What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much a substance can bend light as it passes through it. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the substance.

How is refractive index related to wavelength?

Refractive index is inversely proportional to wavelength, meaning that as the wavelength of light decreases, the refractive index of a substance increases.

What is the formula for calculating refractive index?

The formula for calculating refractive index is n = c/v, where n is the refractive index, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, and v is the speed of light in the substance.

How do you solve for refractive index in a given problem?

To solve for refractive index, you need to know the speed of light in a vacuum and the speed of light in the substance. Then, plug those values into the formula n = c/v and solve for n.

What is the significance of refractive index in science?

Refractive index is an important concept in science and has many practical applications. It is used in fields such as optics, materials science, and chemistry to understand the behavior of light in different substances and to design and create various devices and materials.