Solving Relative Speed and Flashes in S' Frame

In summary, the red light flashes at position xR = 3:00m and time tR = 1e-9s, and the blue light flashes at xB = 5:00m and tB = 9e-9 s. The relative speed between S and S` is vX t` and the location of the flashes in S` is xB = 5:00m and tB = 9e-9 s. The red flash occurs at the time tR = 6e-9s in the S` frame.
Oerg

Homework Statement

A red light flashes at position xR = 3:00m and time tR = 1e-9s, and
a blue light flashes at xB = 5:00m and tB = 9e-9 s, all measured in
the S reference frame. Reference frame S` has its origin at the same point
as S at t = t0 = 0; frame S' moves uniformly to the right. Both flashes
are observed to occur at the same place in S'. (a) Find the relative speed
between S and S`. (b) Find the location of the two flashes in frame S`.
(c) At what time does the red flash occur in the S' frame?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am going crazy! This is my approach.

taking the distance of S' from x_R to be L_p measured in S and distance of S' from x_B to be contracted length L_C as measured in S',

[tex] L_p=L_c \times \gamma [/tex]
[tex] x_A+2=x_A \times \gamma [/tex]

at t_B distance traveled by S' frame is v X t'
taking t' to be [tex]t_B \times gamma[/tex],
[tex] x_A=3-vt' [/tex]

But when i substituted [tex] x_A [/tex] back into the equation, i became stuck! so obviously something is wrong but i cannot figure out what is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand what you are doing. In any case, for a problem like this, why not use the Lorentz transformations directly. That's what they are for!

Doc AI, thanks for helping me again. I have another question though that is slightly unrelated to this.

Given that [tex] f=\frac{\bar u \bar v}{\bar u +\bar v}[/tex]

show that

[tex]e_f=f^2({\frac{e_u}{\bar u^2} + \frac{e_v}{\bar v^2}) [/tex]

where [tex]e[/tex] refers to the error. ok so I added up the fractional uncertainties and I got this

[tex]\frac{e_f}{f}=\frac{e_u}{u}+\frac{e_v}{v}+\frac{e_u+e_v}{u+v}[/tex]

after some simplifying, I got to this,

[tex]e_f=f^2(\frac{e_u(u+v)}{u^2v}+\frac{e_v(u+v)}{v^2u}+\frac{e_u+e_v}{uv})[/tex]

and then I realized that I could never get the answer, however, if this term was negative,
[tex]\frac{e_u+e_v}{uv}[/tex], i would get the answer perfectly, but how can it be negative? Problem is even in division, shouldn't the fractional uncertianties add up??

Related to Solving Relative Speed and Flashes in S' Frame

1. How do you calculate relative speed in the S' frame?

To calculate relative speed in the S' frame, you can use the formula v' = (v - u)/(1 - v*u/c^2), where v is the speed of the object in the S frame, u is the speed of the S' frame relative to the S frame, and c is the speed of light.

2. What is the significance of the S' frame in solving relative speed problems?

The S' frame is a frame of reference that is moving at a constant velocity relative to the S frame. It is useful in solving relative speed problems because it allows for a simpler and more intuitive approach to calculating relative velocities.

3. How does the concept of time dilation apply to solving flashes in the S' frame?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for an object in motion relative to a stationary observer. In the context of solving flashes in the S' frame, time dilation can affect the perceived timing of flashes and must be taken into account when calculating the relative speed of the moving object.

4. Can relative speed and flashes be solved in frames other than the S' frame?

Yes, relative speed and flashes can be solved in any inertial frame of reference. However, the S' frame is often used because it simplifies the calculations and allows for a clear understanding of the relative motion between objects.

5. How does the concept of length contraction apply to solving relative speed and flashes in the S' frame?

Length contraction is the phenomenon where an object appears shorter when it is in motion relative to a stationary observer. In the S' frame, length contraction can affect the perceived distance between objects and must be taken into account when solving for relative speed and flashes.