Solving Relativistic Collision using Four Momentum Vector

In summary, the conversation discusses the decay of a particle into two particles, one with mass m and one massless. The momentum of the massless particle is determined using four-momentum, which is found to be a faster method for solving these types of problems. However, there may be cases where other methods are more efficient.
darkmatter820
1. A particle of mass M decays from rest into two particles. One particle has mass m and the other particle is massless. The momentum of the massless particle is...
2. Ei = Ef, Pi= Pf
3. This is a GRE practice problem. I can solve this problem using the old method as listed in the step 2, but I just learned about four momentum yesterday and it seems to be the fastest way so far to solve these kind of problems; but I'm struggling to solve this problem with this method.

My attempt: P1 =(Mc^2/c,0), P2= (mc^2/c, pm), P3 = (E/c, p*); P1 is the initial energy-momentum vector, P2 is the final energy momentum for the particle with mass m, and P3 is the vector for massless particle. I also assumed the massless particle is moving at c. Then,
P1= P2+P3,
P1°P1 = (P2+P3)°(P2+P3), p* = E, c =1.

This is as far as I can go. I might have made some mistakes somewhere, so please be specific when you response so I correct them next time. Thanks in advance! Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The four-momentum for particle 2 isn't correct. Its energy isn't simply its rest energy. Also, use the fact that the two particles have to have opposite but equal three-momenta to write
\begin{eqnarray}
p_1 &= (Mc, 0) \\
p_2 &= (E_2/c, p) \\
p_3 &= (p, -p)
\end{eqnarray}

Hi Vela, with the correction I got (M^2 -m^2)/2 = p^2 + p(p^2+m^2)^(1/2), with E = (p^2+m^2)^(1/2), and c = 1, which is kind of nasty (for me at least). So is four- momentum always the quickest way or just depends on the problem? Thanks

Try using conservation of energy to solve for E2 instead, then you'll have a comparatively simple expression from which you can isolate p.

Occasionally, there are problems where not using four-vectors is an easier route, but I've found that more often than not using four-vectors is much simpler. The thing with SR is that if you take a suboptimal approach, you can sometimes go in circles with the algebra. You learn how to avoid that with practice.

I can say that your approach using four momentum vectors is correct. The four momentum vector is a useful tool in solving relativistic collision problems as it takes into account both energy and momentum conservation. In your attempt, you correctly identified the initial and final energy-momentum vectors for each particle and used the fact that the total initial four momentum must equal the total final four momentum. You also correctly assumed that the massless particle is moving at the speed of light, which means its momentum is equal to its energy. Your final equation, P1°P1 = (P2+P3)°(P2+P3), is a valid equation for solving the problem.

However, if you are struggling to solve the problem using this method, I suggest practicing more problems and familiarizing yourself with the concept of four momentum vectors. It is a powerful tool in solving relativistic problems and with more practice, you will become more comfortable with it. Also, make sure to double check your calculations and units to avoid any mistakes. Good luck!

Related to Solving Relativistic Collision using Four Momentum Vector

1. What is the concept of four-momentum in relativistic collision?

The four-momentum vector is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to describe the energy and momentum of a particle. It combines the classical concepts of energy and momentum into a single four-dimensional vector, which takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is four-momentum used to solve relativistic collisions?

In a relativistic collision, the total four-momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the four-momentum vectors of all the particles involved in the collision remains the same before and after the collision. By using this conservation principle, we can solve for the unknown quantities of a relativistic collision, such as the final velocities of the particles.

3. What are the key equations used in solving relativistic collisions using four-momentum?

The key equations used are the conservation of four-momentum, which states that the total four-momentum before the collision is equal to the total four-momentum after the collision, and the relativistic energy-momentum relation, which relates the energy and momentum of a particle to its mass and velocity.

4. Can four-momentum be used for collisions involving more than two particles?

Yes, four-momentum can be applied to collisions involving any number of particles. This is because the conservation of four-momentum holds true for all systems, regardless of the number of particles involved. However, the calculations can become more complex as the number of particles increases.

5. Are there any limitations to using four-momentum in relativistic collisions?

Four-momentum is a useful tool for solving relativistic collisions, but it does have its limitations. It assumes that the particles involved in the collision are point-like and do not interact with each other. In reality, particles can have internal structure and can interact with each other, which can affect the outcome of a collision. It is important to take these factors into account when using four-momentum to solve relativistic collisions.