Solving Retard Potential Homework for Sinusoidally Varying Line Current

• Thread starter shehry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving the retarded potential, but is having trouble with the integral. He is considering using different limits, and changing the problem to consider a point in a single plane.
shehry1

Homework Statement

The question concerns a square loop in the presence of an infinitely long sinusoidally varying line current.

The complete problem is http://physics.indiana.edu/~berger/p506_fall2008/p507ps11.pdf"

Homework Equations

The retarded potential.

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined J along the z direction [tex] = I * \delta (\rho') \delta ( \cos (\phi')) / \rho' [/tex]

Then I find the vector potential
[tex] A = {\mu_o \over 4 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} {J_{ret} \over |x-x'|} d^3x [/tex]

with the Sin in J having the retarded time of course. But this leaves me with the integral:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \sin ( w(t - \sqrt (\rho^2 + (z-z')^2))) \over \sqrt(\rho^2+(z-z')^2)[/tex]

Did I go wrong? If not then can someone tell me how to get rid of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
shehry1 said:

Homework Equations

The retarded potential.

Are you sure you are expected to involve the retarded potential for this problem?

Then I find the vector potential
[tex] A = {\mu_o \over 4 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} {J_{ret} \over |x-x'|} d^3x [/tex]

This expression is only valid for finite current distributions. A "long" current carrying wire does not qualify.

gabbagabbahey said:
Are you sure you are expected to involve the retarded potential for this problem?

This expression is only valid for finite current distributions. A "long" current carrying wire does not qualify.

Pretty sure that you have to and for two reasons:
[1] Wiki says that its for time varying currents and charges without ever mentioning finiteness
[2] Just saw that Griffiths example 10.2 solves for an infinite line current as well. However, the time dependence over there is not sinusoidal

shehry1 said:
[1] Wiki says that its for time varying currents and charges without ever mentioning finiteness

Sorry, I was thinking of the non-retarded version where the entire line of current simultaneously contributes to the vector potential.:redface:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin ( \omega(t - \sqrt{\rho^2 + (z-z')^2}))}{\sqrt{\rho^2+(z-x')^2}}dz'[/tex]

Here, the integral should not really go from -infinity to +infinity; you need to consider which section of the wire actually contributes to the potential at a time [tex]t>\frac{\rho}{c}[/tex]. Note that here, unlike in Griffiths' ex. 10.2, you are considering a general field point, not one confined to the xy-plane.

gabbagabbahey said:
Sorry, I was thinking of the non-retarded version where the entire line of current simultaneously contributes to the vector potential.:redface:

Here, the integral should not really go from -infinity to +infinity; you need to consider which section of the wire actually contributes to the potential at a time [tex]t>\frac{\rho}{c}[/tex]. Note that here, unlike in Griffiths' ex. 10.2, you are considering a general field point, not one confined to the xy-plane.

For a while you had me worried :)

I can change the limits later of course but I wanted to know how to solve that wretched integral. But I do think that the problem allows me to consider a point in a single plane.

In any event, it seems that I am on the right track and only need to solve the integral followed a simple differentiation. But the integral...?

shehry1 said:
But I do think that the problem allows me to consider a point in a single plane.

Yes, just be sure to state that you are doing so in your final solution.

EDIT: Actually, the square loop lies in the ρ-z plane, so you need to find the z-dependence of the magnetic field.

In any event, it seems that I am on the right track and only need to solve the integral followed a simple differentiation. But the integral...?

Hmmmm...good question! Mathematica doesn't even want to evaluate this integral analytically. I'll have to think about it.

Last edited:
You might be able to make things easier for yourself by assuming (and showing some justification for your assumption) that the current varies slow enough to consider [tex]\sin(\omega t_r)\approx \omega t_r[/tex] and then the problem is essentially the same as Griffiths' 10.9(a).

EDIT: Another idea is to bypass the vector potential altogether and use Jefimenko's equations to find the field. Although I don't think the integral becomes any easier without some approximations.

Last edited:
From the wording of the problem, and the association with problems from chapter 6 in Jackson, I don't think that you are supposed to make any assumptions that, for instance wt is small. I agree with gabbagabbahey that you should just use Jefimenko, but indeed you will have basically the same issue with the integral. I would suggest a clever change of variables to make the argument of the trig function as simple as possible. To do this properly, you will need to recognize some symmetry properties of the integrand so that you can properly handle the limits.

FAQ: Solving Retard Potential Homework for Sinusoidally Varying Line Current

1. What is the purpose of solving retard potential homework for sinusoidally varying line current?

The purpose of solving retard potential homework for sinusoidally varying line current is to analyze and understand the behavior of electrical circuits and systems that involve sinusoidal signals. This type of analysis is especially important in the field of power systems and electric power transmission.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving retard potential homework for sinusoidally varying line current?

The key concepts involved in solving retard potential homework for sinusoidally varying line current include understanding the principles of AC circuits, analyzing the behavior of capacitors and inductors in AC circuits, and using phasor diagrams to represent sinusoidal signals and calculate values such as voltage, current, and power.

3. What are the steps involved in solving retard potential homework for sinusoidally varying line current?

The steps involved in solving retard potential homework for sinusoidally varying line current typically include converting the given circuit into a phasor diagram, applying Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws to calculate values, using the impedance formula for capacitors and inductors, and converting back to the time domain if needed.

4. What are some common challenges when solving retard potential homework for sinusoidally varying line current?

Some common challenges when solving retard potential homework for sinusoidally varying line current include understanding and correctly applying the complex number operations involved in phasor calculations, understanding the concept of impedance and its relationship to AC circuits, and correctly interpreting and applying the given circuit information.

5. What are some tips for effectively solving retard potential homework for sinusoidally varying line current?

Some tips for effectively solving retard potential homework for sinusoidally varying line current include practicing phasor calculations and understanding the relationships between voltage, current, and power in AC circuits, thoroughly reviewing and understanding the concepts of impedance, and carefully analyzing the given circuit to identify any possible simplifications or shortcuts.

Back