Solving Rotational Motion Homework: a2 = 5m/s^2

In summary, Yukoel said that the centripetal acceleration should be calculated using the velocity of the point, the radius of curvature, and the angle of rotation. Pranav found that the given answer was not correct and needed to calculate the radius of curvature.
Saitama

Homework Statement

http://i46.tinypic.com/548uox.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher said that we will take the axis at the point which is in contact with the ground (i don't get why we need to do so?). I followed the teacher's hint. Angular acceleration α=a/R, where a is the linear acceleration and R is the distance of the point from the axis.
Since α is same for all points,
[tex]\frac{a_1}{R_1}=\frac{a_2}{R_2}[/tex]
a1=3m/s^2
a2=we need to find this.
R1=1m
R2=4/3m.
Using these values, i get:
[tex]a_2=4m/s^2[/tex]
But this is wrong, the answer is 5m/s^2. I don't understand where i am going wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem asks the magnitude of the total acceleration of that point (centripetal included).

ehild

ehild said:
The problem asks the magnitude of the total acceleration of that point (centripetal included).

ehild

For the centripetal acceleration, i need the velocity of that point. As i did for linear acceleration, the linear velocity would be 4m/s.
Therefore, centripetal acceleration is [itex]\frac{v^2}{R}=\frac{4*4*3}{4}=12m/s^2[/itex]
R=4/3 m
Net acceleration is [itex]\sqrt{12^2+4^2}[/itex] but this is not equal to 5. :(

Pranav-Arora said:
For the centripetal acceleration, i need the velocity of that point. As i did for linear acceleration, the linear velocity would be 4m/s.
Therefore, centripetal acceleration is [itex]\frac{v^2}{R}=\frac{4*4*3}{4}=12m/s^2[/itex]
R=4/3 m
Net acceleration is [itex]\sqrt{12^2+4^2}[/itex] but this is not equal to 5. :(

Hello Pranav-arora,
You are taking measurements from the instantaneous center of rotation right?First of all to confirm whether the given answer is correct or not by treating the same from the center of mass and ground frame.I think it should be correct.(though I haven't calculated)
As far as centripetal acceleration is concerned from the bottom most point the given point doesn't exactly cover a circular path on the plane w.r.t it.The curve should be a cycloid adjusted or say translated above the ground by a height of 2R/3 I suppose.So the formula for centripetal acceleration is [itex]\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex] where r denotes the radius of curvature of the curve at the point.So the calculation of centripetal acceleration done by you is incorrect unless you calculate the radius of curvature correctly.Correct me if I am wrong.
regards
Yukoel

Last edited:
Pranav, unlike your teacher I would put the axis of rotation through the centre of the wheel. It is the real axis, isn't it?

As Yukoel wrote, the points of the wheel do not move along circles around the instantaneous axis.
The radius will change, and the expression of acceleration in such system of reference is should include the derivatives
of the radius, too.

It is sure that you can describe the motion of any point of the wheel with respects to the axis through the centre (which is the CM of the wheel).
If you count the angle of rotation from the upper vertical, the components of the point at distance r=1/3 m from the centre of the wheel
of radius R are:

x=XCM+rsin(φ)
y=R+rcos(φ)

The velocity components are:

vx=VCM+rωcos(φ)
vy=-rωsin(φ)

The rolling condition holds, so the magnitude of the linear velocity of the rim is v=Rω=VCM. As there is acceleration, the angular velocity changes with time.
According to the rolling condition, the angular acceleration is dω/dt=aCM/R.

Derivating the velocity components and substituting aCM/R for dω/dt you get the components of the acceleration.

ax=aCM+r(dω/dt)cos(φ)-rω2sin(φ)
ay=-r(dω/dt)sin(φ)-rω2cos(φ)

substituting for (dω/dt),

ax=aCM+raCM/Rcos(φ)-rω2sin(φ),

ay=-raCM/R sin(φ)-rω2cos(φ).

These are the general formulae. You need those for φ=0. What do you get for ax and ay?

ehild

Thanks you ehild and Yukoel for your replies! :smile:
ehild said:
x=XCM+rsin(φ)
y=R+rcos(φ)

How do you get these equation ehild? :rolleyes:
ehild said:
ax=aCM+raCM/Rcos(φ)-rω2sin(φ),

ay=-raCM/R sin(φ)-rω2cos(φ).

These are the general formulae. You need those for φ=0. What do you get for ax and ay?

ehild

ax=aCM+raCM/R

ay=-rω2

If i use these equations, i get my answer to be 5m/s^2.

Yukoel said something about the radius of curvature, i don't understand how should i go about calculating it.

I would solve this using a different method.

The acceleration you found in the first post can be used, and it will account for the tangential acceleration. Now the radial acceleration can be found by using the relative velocity between the axis of rotation and the given point. Then add them vectorially.

Attachments

• wheel.JPG
    wheel.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 365
Infinitum said:

The acceleration you found in the first post can be used, and it will account for the tangential acceleration. Now the radial acceleration can be found by using the relative velocity between the axis of rotation and the given point. Then add them vectorially.

Pranav did exactly that, using the instantaneous axis, as his teacher suggested, for the axis of rotation.

ehild

ehild said:
Pranav did exactly that, using the instantaneous axis, as his teacher suggested, for the axis of rotation.

ehild

I took the center as the axis of rotation.

Everything is all right and easy if you describe the motion of the point with respect to the centre (CM). It becomes complicated when somebody tries to find the acceleration in a frame of reference connected to the instantaneous axis. I never do it.

ehild

ehild said:
Everything is all right and easy if you describe the motion of the point with respect to the centre (CM). It becomes complicated when somebody tries to find the acceleration in a frame of reference connected to the instantaneous axis. I never do it.

ehild

Very true :smile:

ehild said:
Come on! You should know them! :wink:See picture.

For curvature, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvature

ehild

Thank you ehild for that image, i get it now. :smile:

Infinitum said:

Any reason why i need to use the relative velocity here?

Pranav-Arora said:
Thank you ehild for that image, i get it now. :smile:
Any reason why i need to use the relative velocity here?

Hello Pranav,
I think what Infinitum means is that you need to superimpose velocities/accelerations due to c.o.m and those relative to it.
I have drawn a diagram for a 2 dimensional case in the image below.
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3331/da0822968d2847a9bda0d4d.png
Hoping this helps.
regards
Yukoel

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Solving Rotational Motion Homework: a2 = 5m/s^2

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around its own axis or a fixed point. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as wheels, spinning tops, and planets rotating around the sun.

2. How do you calculate rotational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration, represented by the symbol alpha (α), can be calculated using the formula α = a/r, where a is the linear acceleration and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of interest.

3. What does a2 represent in the equation a2 = 5m/s^2?

In this equation, a2 represents the rotational acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2). This means that the object is experiencing an increase in rotational speed of 5 meters per second every second.

4. How do you solve for rotational motion problems?

To solve rotational motion problems, you need to identify the given variables, such as rotational acceleration, linear acceleration, and distance from the axis of rotation. Then, you can use the appropriate equations, such as α = a/r, to calculate the unknown variables and solve the problem.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion include the rotation of the Earth around its own axis, the spinning of a ceiling fan, and the rotation of a car tire while driving. Other examples can include the spinning of a record player, the rotation of a wind turbine, and the motion of a spinning top.