Solving Rotational Motion Problem Involving Mass and Length of Rod

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving a thin rod with a pivot and a second support. A clay ball drops onto the rod, causing it to swing upward at an angle Θ. The conversation involves finding the moment of inertia of the rod and ball together and using energy conservation to calculate the angle of swing.
Poisonous
I ran across this problem studying for my exam, and I'm not sure how to solve it:

Homework Statement

A thin rod of Mass M and length L is supported by a pivot a distance of L/4 from its left end. A second support a distance 3L/4 from the left end prevents it from falling. A clay ball of mass M/2 drops from a height H above the beam, strikes the left end and completely sticks to the rod. The beam swings upward to make an angle [tex]\Theta[/tex] with the horizontal.

a. Calculate the moment of Inertia, Iz, of the beam and clay ball together around the pivot point, after the clay sticks to the beam.

b. Calculate the angle [tex]\Theta[/tex] to which the beam rises. Express your answer in terms of [tex]\omega[/tex], V, and/or Iz.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, I was thinking of finding the moment of Inertia at the new center of mass after the ball sticks, then using the parallel axis theorem to get Iz, but that seems too messy..

For b, I think there must be some way to do it with energy conservation, but I really don't know where to start.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Poisonous! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and an omega: ω :wink:)
Poisonous said:
a. Calculate the moment of Inertia, Iz, of the beam and clay ball together around the pivot point, after the clay sticks to the beam.

For a, I was thinking of finding the moment of Inertia at the new center of mass after the ball sticks, then using the parallel axis theorem to get Iz, but that seems too messy..

That's far too complicated …

just calculate the moment of inertia of the whole (about the pivot) as the sum of the moments of inertia of its parts. :wink:
For b, I think there must be some way to do it with energy conservation, but I really don't know where to start.

How can energy be conserved? It's a perfectly inelastic collision (the two final velocities are the same).

You can use conservation of energy after the collision, but for the collision itself, you need … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Poisonous! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and an omega: ω :wink:)

That's far too complicated …

just calculate the moment of inertia of the whole (about the pivot) as the sum of the moments of inertia of its parts. :wink:

How can energy be conserved? It's a perfectly inelastic collision (the two final velocities are the same).

You can use conservation of energy after the collision, but for the collision itself, you need … ? :smile:

For a: Iz = 1/12ML2 + (M/2)(L/4)2

right?

For b: For the collision itself you would need conservation of angular momentum? So,

Iclay * ωclay + 0 = Iz * ωz

so, ωz = MVL/8Iz

So you know the rotational kinetic energy at the beginning, and that it should be all potential energy at the point of [tex]\theta[/tex], but how do you relate the energies with [tex]\theta[/tex]?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Poisonous said:
For a: Iz = 1/12ML2 + (M/2)(L/4)2

No, 1/12 would be at the end, you want L/4 from the end.
So you know the rotational kinetic energy at the beginning, and that it should be all potential energy at the point of [tex]\theta[/tex], but how do you relate the energies with [tex]\theta[/tex]?

(what happened to that θ i gave you? :wink:)

You relate θ to h. :smile:

FAQ: Solving Rotational Motion Problem Involving Mass and Length of Rod

1. What is rotational motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or pivot point. It is different from linear motion, which is the movement of an object in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object rotates or spins around the axis, while in linear motion, it moves in a straight line.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a rod?

The moment of inertia for a rod can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * L^2, where m is the mass of the rod and L is the length of the rod. This formula assumes that the rod is a uniform, thin object with all of its mass concentrated at the center.

3. Can you explain the concept of torque in rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm). In rotational motion problems involving mass and length of a rod, torque is usually calculated to determine the angular acceleration of the rod.

4. How do you solve rotational motion problems involving mass and length of a rod?

To solve these types of problems, you will need to use the equations for rotational motion, such as torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration. You will also need to apply Newton's second law, F = ma, to determine the force acting on the rod. Additionally, you may need to use the formula for the moment of inertia, I = (1/12) * m * L^2, as well as other relevant formulas depending on the specific problem.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving rotational motion problems involving mass and length of a rod?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include using the incorrect formula for calculating the moment of inertia, forgetting to convert units to the correct form (such as converting mass from kg to grams), and not considering the direction of the torque or force when applying the equations. It is also important to carefully define the axis of rotation and make sure all calculations are done relative to that axis.

Back