Solving Series w/ Remainder Estimate & Integral Test

In summary, the conversation discusses using the remainder estimate for the integral test to find the sum of a series accurate to 3 decimal places. The question arises about what exactly is being found and whether an error of <0.001 or <0.0005 should be used. The person providing the response suggests using <0.0005 due to the possibility of rounding error.
skyturnred
It asks "use remainder estimate for integral test" to find series accurate to 3 dec?

Homework Statement

It says "Use the Remainder Estimate for the Integral Test to find the sum of the following series to three decimal places of accuracy."

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{n^{3}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so my question is as follows. If it says "to 3 decimal places of accuracy," what am I finding exactly? Am I finding the sum for error<0.001? or is it error<0.0005? I ask this because an error of 0.0005 could change the round and change the third decimal place.

As for the rest of the question, I know how to do it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

skyturnred said:

Homework Statement

It says "Use the Remainder Estimate for the Integral Test to find the sum of the following series to three decimal places of accuracy."

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{n^{3}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so my question is as follows. If it says "to 3 decimal places of accuracy," what am I finding exactly? Am I finding the sum for error<0.001? or is it error<0.0005? I ask this because an error of 0.0005 could change the round and change the third decimal place.

As for the rest of the question, I know how to do it.

Thanks!

i have always used < 0.0005, just because of the possibility of "rounding error" changing the 3rd decimal place.

Thanks! Thats what Ill do!

Related to Solving Series w/ Remainder Estimate & Integral Test

What is the purpose of solving series with remainder estimate and integral test?

The purpose of solving series with remainder estimate and integral test is to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. These tests provide a way to estimate the error in the partial sum of a series and to compare it to the actual value of the series. This is important in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and statistics.

What is the remainder estimate method?

The remainder estimate method is a mathematical technique used to estimate the error in the partial sum of a series. It involves finding the difference between the actual value of the series and the partial sum, and using this difference to determine the accuracy of the partial sum.

What is the integral test?

The integral test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to an improper integral. If the integral converges, then the series also converges. If the integral diverges, then the series also diverges. This test is useful for series with positive terms.

How do I use the remainder estimate method to solve a series?

To use the remainder estimate method, first calculate the partial sum of the series. Then, find the difference between the actual value of the series and the partial sum. This difference is the error in the partial sum. Finally, compare the error to a predetermined value, such as a tolerance or margin of error, to determine the accuracy of the partial sum.

When should I use the integral test to solve a series?

The integral test is most useful for series with positive terms that are difficult to evaluate using other methods. It is also useful for determining the convergence or divergence of a series when the terms of the series do not have a clear pattern or do not follow a specific formula.