Solving Set Theory Homework: Sets, Tuples, etc

• Thread starter Panphobia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, when solving a problem where a function is defined over a real number line, method 3 is better because it reduces the number of cases exponentially.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

So if a question asks you for a pair set, with some criteria, is it enough to just say S = {a,b} or do you need something extra? Also this is another question that is from my set theory class, if the question defines a function and to solve over the Real numbers, ex. 1-|x^2-1| = 0, I know it isn't as simple as it looks, I know we are supposed to give all the values of x satisfying this function in a set, but I think our professor is looking for some kind of proof, like using, "if a = b then |a| = |b|". So my question is, how do I integrate those if statements while solving for all values of x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

So if a question asks you for a pair set, with some criteria, is it enough to just say S = {a,b} or do you need something extra?
There is a simple constraint for elements of a set that does not apply to elements of a tuple.
Also this is another question that is from my set theory class, if the question defines a function and to solve over the Real numbers, ex. 1-|x^2-1| = 0, I know it isn't as simple as it looks, I know we are supposed to give all the values of x satisfying this function in a set, but I think our professor is looking for some kind of proof, like using, "if a = b then |a| = |b|". So my question is, how do I integrate those if statements while solving for all values of x?
There are three ways I can of for dealing with modulus signs.
1. Square
In this example you can write (x2-1)2 = 1. Not useful here, though.
2. Consider each combination of the binary choices separately.
To illustrate that I need a more complicated example: 1-|x^2-1| = |x+3|
The four cases to be considered correspond to x2>1 versus x2<1, and x>-3 versus x<-3. Some combinations may turn out to be impossible.
3. Find all the critical values of x and divide the real line up into corresponding intervals. In my example, the critical values are x=-1, x=+1, x=-3, so the line is divided into four intervals.

Generally, method 3 scales better than method 2 (which grows cases exponentially).

Thanks, that helped, I figured out the solution set to all parts of that question.

Related to Solving Set Theory Homework: Sets, Tuples, etc

What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that studies collections of objects, called sets, and the relationships between them. It provides a foundation for many areas of mathematics and has applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and economics.

What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, that are grouped together based on a specific criteria. The elements of a set can be anything, such as numbers, letters, or even other sets.

What is a tuple?

A tuple is an ordered list of elements, similar to a set. However, unlike sets, the elements in a tuple have a specific order and can contain duplicate elements.

What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. For example, if a set has 5 elements, its cardinality is 5.

How do you solve problems involving sets?

To solve problems involving sets, you need to understand the basic operations of set theory, such as union, intersection, and complement. You also need to know how to use Venn diagrams and set notation to visualize and represent sets and their relationships. Practice and familiarity with these concepts will help you effectively solve set theory homework problems.

Back