Solving Set Theory Question Homework: Assume A Closed Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the property of an algebra that states that for any nested sets {Ei}, their infinite union will also be contained in the algebra. The conversation then goes on to explain how this property can be used to construct an infinite nesting whose union is also in the algebra, even if there are overlapping and non-contained sets involved. The approach taken is to construct an infinite nesting by taking the union of finite sets and showing that this nested union is contained in the algebra.
sammycaps

Homework Statement

Assume I have the property that for any {Ei} (i=1 to infinity) contained in some algebra A, if E1 contained in E2 contained in E3... (infinite nesting), then Union Ei (i=1 to infinity) is also contained in A.

I simply want to show that for any {Ei} (i=1 to infinity) in A, I can construct an infinite nesting such that its Union will be in A, and this union will be exactly the same as the union of the original Ei.

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically, I choose infinite arbitrary sets from A. If each is contained in another then that's easy, and we can construct a nesting simply by rearranging. However, assume that some sets overlap, are not the same, and one is not contained in the other. If there are finite sets that all overlap with each other, are not the same, and none are contained completely in any others, then their union is contained in A because an algebra is closed under finite union. But if there are an infinite amount of these, then we have to construct an infinite nested set. Here's where I'm not sure if what I did makes sense. What I did was take a finite number of sets, take their union, and set that equal to E1. Then we choose another set, take its union with E1, and set that to E2. Then we have that E1 is contained in E2. Then I say that we can do this infinitely, and then say that U Ei (i=1 to infinity) is contained in A by assumption. I'm confused though, because I feel like I could do this last part even without the fact that for nested Ei, U Ei is contained in A, and it would still be valid (which is obviously not true because an algebra is not closed under infinite union). If someone can explain why what I did is right or wrong, that would help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach seems to be correct. By taking an infinite number of finite unions, you are essentially constructing an infinite nesting. And since each finite union is contained in A, the infinite union must also be contained in A.
As for your confusion about the last part, it is true that an algebra is not closed under infinite union, but in this case, we are not taking the infinite union of all the Ei's. We are taking the infinite union of the nested sets that we have constructed, and by assumption, this nested union is contained in A.
Overall, your solution is sound and shows that for any {Ei} in A, we can construct an infinite nesting whose union is also in A.

Related to Solving Set Theory Question Homework: Assume A Closed Algebra

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a foundation for all other branches of mathematics and is used to represent relationships between different objects and their properties.

2. What is a closed algebra?

A closed algebra is a set of elements that is closed under certain operations. In set theory, a closed algebra is a set of sets that is closed under set operations such as union, intersection, and complement.

3. How do you solve set theory questions?

To solve set theory questions, you need to understand the basic principles and operations of set theory, such as union, intersection, and complement. You also need to carefully read the question and identify the given sets and the operations involved. Then, you can use the appropriate set theory formulas and rules to solve the problem.

4. What are the common mistakes made in solving set theory questions?

Some common mistakes made in solving set theory questions include not understanding the given sets or the operations involved, misinterpreting the question, and not using the correct set theory formulas and rules. It is important to carefully read the question and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of set theory?

To improve your understanding of set theory, it is important to practice solving different types of set theory questions. You can also read textbooks or online resources that explain the concepts and principles of set theory. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in improving your understanding of set theory.

Back