Solving Shannon's Equation: 40-45 kbps

• Thread starter roughtenator
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a computer and Matlab to compute the capacity of an AWGN channel. The formula for channel capacity and the attempt at solving the problem using the quad() function are also mentioned. The final result obtained is found to be incorrect and the correct answer is said to be between 40 and 45 kbps.
roughtenator

Homework Statement

Question 1: Using a computer and whatever language to compute the capacity of the following AWGN channel.

My attempt at the problem...
I used Matlab to try to numerically integrate

y=
@(x)0.3*log2(1+100/0.3*x)
c1 = quad(y,0,.3)
c1 =0.4754
y2 = @(x)0.7*log2(1+1900/0.7*x−719.29)
c2 = quad(y2,.3,1)
c2 = 4.7733
c3 = 2*log2(1+2000)
c3 =21.9330
y3 = @(x)1*log2(1+(−2000/1*x+8000))
c4 = quad(y3,3,4)
c4 =9.5293
c = c1 + c2 + c3 + c4
c=36.7110

this is incorrect though because my professor says that the answer is between 40 and 45 kbps

Attachments

• HW1.png
    HW1.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
.Homework Equations The formula for channel capacity is C=B*log2(1+SNR) where B is the bandwidth and SNR is signal to noise ratio. The Attempt at a Solution I used Matlab to try to numerically integrate the equation given above. I tried using quad() function to integrate the equation but it did not give me the correct answer. I am not sure what else I can do to solve this problem.

I would first verify the accuracy of the given information and equations used in this attempt. It is important to ensure that the equations are applicable to the given problem and that the values used are correct.

Next, I would suggest trying alternative methods to solve the problem, such as using different equations or approaches. It may also be helpful to consult with peers or experts in the field to gain further insight and potentially identify any errors.

Additionally, I would recommend double-checking the units and conversions used, as any discrepancies can lead to incorrect results.

It is also important to consider any assumptions made in the solution and their impact on the final result. These assumptions should be clearly stated and their validity should be evaluated.

Overall, solving complex equations such as Shannon's equation requires attention to detail and careful consideration of all factors involved. With proper verification and thorough analysis, the correct answer can be obtained within the given range of 40-45 kbps.

Related to Solving Shannon's Equation: 40-45 kbps

1. What is Shannon's equation?

Shannon's equation, also known as the Shannon-Hartley theorem, is a formula used to calculate the theoretical maximum rate at which information can be transmitted over a communication channel without errors. It takes into account the bandwidth of the channel and the level of noise present in the transmission.

2. How is Shannon's equation used in communication systems?

Shannon's equation is used to determine the maximum achievable data rate in communication systems, such as internet connections, telephone lines, and wireless networks. By calculating the channel capacity, engineers can design systems that are capable of transmitting data at the highest possible rate without errors.

3. What is the significance of 40-45 kbps in Shannon's equation?

40-45 kbps is the typical data rate that can be achieved in a communication channel with a bandwidth of 1 kHz and a signal-to-noise ratio of 30 decibels. This value is commonly used as a benchmark to compare the performance of different communication systems.

4. How accurate is Shannon's equation in real-world scenarios?

Shannon's equation provides a theoretical limit of the maximum data rate that can be achieved in a communication channel. In real-world scenarios, the actual data rate may be lower than the calculated value due to various factors such as interference, signal distortion, and limitations of the hardware used.

5. Can Shannon's equation be applied to modern communication technologies?

Yes, Shannon's equation is still relevant and widely used in modern communication technologies. It has been adapted to account for different types of channels, such as wireless and optical channels, and is constantly being refined and improved as technology advances.