Solving Shell Dropping Problem: Seagulls & 18m Height

• Thread starter XPX1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, a seagull drops a shell from rest at a height of 18 m and it takes 1.84 seconds to reach the ground. Using the equation vf^2=vi^2+2a(xf-xi), the final velocity of the shell is found to be 18.8 m/s downward. Velocity is the speed in a given direction, and in this case, the initial position is considered to be 0 and the final position is 18 m downward. The negative sign in front of 18.8 m/s represents the direction of the velocity in relation to the chosen coordinate system.
XPX1
Seagulls are often observed dropping clams and other shellfish from a height to the rocks below, as a means of opening the shells. If a seagull drops a shell from rest at a height of 18 m, how fast is the shell moving when it hits the rocks?

It seems as though I can figure out some steps of a problem, but when it comes to the rest of them, I am completely lost.

Since the height is 18 feet, the initial velocity(vi) is 0, and the final velocity(vf) is 18

Gravity is 9.8 or -9.8, so I know the acceleration, so I use the equation

vf=vi+at

18=0+(9.8)t
18=9.8t
18/9.8=1.836734694 or 1.84
t=1.84

vi=0
vf=18
a=9.8(gravity) or -9.8 since its moving down?
t=1.84

Now that I know the following, It takes 1.84 seconds for a seagull to drop a clam from a height of 18m.

Do I multiply 1.84 by 18 to get how fast the clam is moving when it hits the rocks?

*Also, if there is any website out there that helps explain some problems in greater depth, or how to develop a better thought process, I don't know, please be sure to include a link!

Physics news on Phys.org
XPX1 said:
Seagulls are often observed dropping clams and other shellfish from a height to the rocks below, as a means of opening the shells. If a seagull drops a shell from rest at a height of 18 m, how fast is the shell moving when it hits the rocks?

It seems as though I can figure out some steps of a problem, but when it comes to the rest of them, I am completely lost.

Since the height is 18 feet, the initial velocity(vi) is 0, and the final velocity(vf) is 18

Gravity is 9.8 or -9.8, so I know the acceleration, so I use the equation

vf=vi+at

18=0+(9.8)t
18=9.8t
18/9.8=1.836734694 or 1.84
t=1.84

vi=0
vf=18
a=9.8(gravity) or -9.8 since its moving down?
t=1.84

Now that I know the following, It takes 1.84 seconds for a seagull to drop a clam from a height of 18m.

Do I multiply 1.84 by 18 to get how fast the clam is moving when it hits the rocks?

*Also, if there is any website out there that helps explain some problems in greater depth, or how to develop a better thought process, I don't know, please be sure to include a link!
You are asked to find its final velocity just before it hits the ground. You have incorrectly stated it as vf =18m/s. 18m is the distance it travels, not its speed. Why did you assume the final velocity was 18m/s? Why not use the motion equation that relates displacement with velocity [tex] v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2gh[tex]?

why are you assuming Vf = 18? vf is what you are trying to calculate! You should not use that equation because you don't know vf and you don't know time. Try using the equation...

[tex]V_f^2 = V_i^2 + 2a(\Delta y)[/tex]

Thanks for pointing that out, I assumed that velocity was 18 because, it started at 18.. Duh, the initial velocity is 18! So if I plug it into the equation

Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(xf-xi)

vf^2=18^2+2(-9.8)(18-0)

The Final Position xf=18, because wherever it is, it has to go 18 meters down.

The Initial Position x=0 because wherever it is, it had to start from 0?

So vf^2=-28.8?

And then to get vf I would take the square root of -28.8? But how can I do that if it is negative, wouldn't I get an imaginary number?

I also put gravity as -9.8 because it is going down.

where are you getting this idea that that 18 has anything to do with velocity. Its initial velocity will be 0 because it is being dropped. The rest is right. Just ignore the negative sign when finding the square root because the negative just describes that the velocity is downwards (you can apply a negative afterward if you like). Also remember you can define downward as the positive direction and put g in as a positive number so that the velocity comes out positive.

Also remember to put units in. g is not equal to 9.8, it is equal to 9.8 m/s^2. Putting units on every value will help you to determine whether an equation makes sense.

Last edited:
xf^2=0+2(9.8)(18-0)

xf^2=352.8

square root of 352.8 is 18.78297101 or 18.8

so that would be the answer correct?

Also, is velocity the same as speed?

And, 18 had nothing to do with velocity, because it was not say it was moving down at 18m/s?

18 only related to the x final position because wherever it was, it has to go 18 meters right?

Thanks ALOT for your help BishopUser

you changed the equation you are calculating vf not xf, but yes the final velocity is 18.8 m/s. Velocity is speed in a given direction (velocity can be negative but speed cannot be). In this case you set the zero level at the bird and consider the initial position to be 0 and the final position to be 18 m since that's how far it has to falls.

So the final answer would be 18.8 m/s downward. You can signify that it is downward by defining a coordinate system in which downward is either positive or negative. Chances are your teacher would expect you to have -18.8 m/s since most students automatically assume that there is a predefined coordinate system (where downward is negative) when they should be creating their own

Last edited:

Related to Solving Shell Dropping Problem: Seagulls & 18m Height

1. How do seagulls solve the problem of dropping shells from a height of 18m?

Seagulls solve the problem of dropping shells from a height of 18m by using their natural instincts and physical abilities. They have excellent eyesight and can accurately spot the ground from high up. They also have strong muscles in their wings that allow them to quickly change direction and slow down their descent.

2. Why do seagulls drop shells from such a high height?

Seagulls drop shells from a high height because it allows them to break open the shells and access the food inside. The impact of the shell hitting the ground helps to crack it open, making it easier for the seagulls to eat.

3. Do seagulls use any other methods to open shells?

Yes, seagulls have been observed using other methods to open shells, such as dropping them onto rocks or hard surfaces. They may also use their beaks to pry open shells or even drop them from a lower height if necessary.

4. How do seagulls avoid getting injured when dropping shells from a high height?

Seagulls have a layer of air sacs in their body that act as a cushion and help to absorb the impact of their descent. They also have flexible necks and legs that can adjust to the force of impact, reducing the risk of injury.

5. Is the ability to solve the shell dropping problem unique to seagulls?

No, other bird species have also been observed dropping shells from a height to break them open. This technique is not limited to seagulls, but it is a common behavior among coastal birds that feed on shellfish.