Solving Simple Circuits: Analyzing Currents Using Ohm's Law and Kirchoff's Laws

• Engineering
  • Thread starter TheTopGun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the student is having difficulty understanding and solving a circuit problem. They are trying to use current or voltage dividers but are not sure where to find them. They are also having difficulty with the circuit. They have used software simulation to try and find the values for the current, voltage, and resistance, but they would like help with application of the rules.
TheTopGun

Homework Statement

Hello! I'm having difficulty analyzing https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53341615/Circuit%20Diagram.png circuit and determining the currents I1,I2,I3.

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law
Kirchoffs Laws
Current and Volatage divider

The Attempt at a Solution

So far all I can manage is https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53341615/IMG_20130827_211859.jpg the circuit, I am sure I am suppose to use current or voltage divider I just can't work out where.

Using software simulation the values should be around ...I1=0.5404, I2=0.8109, I3= -0.2702mA

Any help on which rules and where to apply them would be much appreciated!

~thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
TheTopGun said:

Homework Statement

Hello! I'm having difficulty analyzing https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53341615/Circuit%20Diagram.png circuit and determining the currents I1,I2,I3.

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law
Kirchoffs Laws
Current and Volatage divider

The Attempt at a Solution

So far all I can manage is https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53341615/IMG_20130827_211859.jpg the circuit, I am sure I am suppose to use current or voltage divider I just can't work out where.

Using software simulation the values should be around ...I1=0.5404, I2=0.8109, I3= -0.2702mA

Any help on which rules and where to apply them would be much appreciated!

~thanks

Your simplified circuit is correct except you have a typo for the left resistor. Should be kOhms, not Ohms.

In problems like this, I prefer to write the KCL equations, and just solve them simultaneously. That's the most intuitive technique for me, and almost always works without modification.

So this is a pretty simple circuit -- call the voltage at the top node V1, and write the one KCL equation for that node. You can then solve for that voltage, which let's you solve for the 3 currents that the problem is asking for. In problems with multiple nodes, just write the KCL equations for each node and solve the equations simultaneously.

I prefer to write the KCL equation(s) as the sum of all the currents out of each node equal zero.

Can you show us your work given those hints?

Likes 1 person
berkeman said:
Your simplified circuit is correct except you have a typo for the left resistor. Should be kOhms, not Ohms.

In problems like this, I prefer to write the KCL equations, and just solve them simultaneously. That's the most intuitive technique for me, and almost always works without modification.

Ahh thankyou very much. I was messing around with equations I didn't need. I just wrote out the Ohms, KCL & KVL equations then solved simultaneously, came out perfect.

Once again, thanks :)

Related to Solving Simple Circuits: Analyzing Currents Using Ohm's Law and Kirchoff's Laws

What is the purpose of analyzing simple circuits?

The purpose of analyzing simple circuits is to understand how electricity flows through a circuit and to determine the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. This allows scientists and engineers to design and troubleshoot electrical systems.

What are the basic components of a simple circuit?

The basic components of a simple circuit include a power source, such as a battery or wall outlet, conductors, such as wires, and loads, such as light bulbs or resistors. These components are connected in a closed loop to allow the flow of electricity.

How do you calculate the total resistance of a series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance of a series circuit, you add up the individual resistances of each component. This is because in a series circuit, the current must flow through each component, resulting in a cumulative effect on the resistance.

What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop circuit must equal the sum of the voltage sources. This law helps to determine the voltages at different points in a circuit and is essential in analyzing more complex circuits.

How do you use Ohm's Law to analyze simple circuits?

Ohm's Law states that voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance (V=IR). This law can be used to analyze simple circuits by calculating the voltage, current, or resistance of a component when the other two values are known. This allows scientists to predict the behavior of a circuit and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.