Solving Simple Limits Questions with No Calculator

• Thread starter gamma-ray-burst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a function and determining whether it is infinity or not. The conclusion is that for this specific function, the limit does not exist. The conversation also mentions upcoming topics in the study of limits.
gamma-ray-burst
hey hi.

i'm just starting differentials and now we are seeing the limits.
i have a question.

there is one example that goes like this :

lim 4 / (x²+2x+1)
x--> -1

well with simple calculations using -1(-) and -1(+), i know that the answer is infinity.
plus, if i trace the graph, there's an asymptote at -1.
but I'm not supposed to use a calculator.
well at the exam we can't have one.

so i do it by hand.
when i plug, let's say, -1.000001 and -0.999999, it gives me 4/0 for both.
can i say that it's infinity, or would it have to be 4/0(+)?

i feel that it's really easy, yet I'm stuck :(

also, if i get something like (1(+))², does it stays 1(+) or does it becomes like 1.0000000002?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi gamma-ray-burst! :smile:
gamma-ray-burst said:
lim 4 / (x²+2x+1)
x--> -1

well with simple calculations using -1(-) and -1(+), i know that the answer is infinity.
plus, if i trace the graph, there's an asymptote at -1.
but I'm not supposed to use a calculator.
well at the exam we can't have one.

so i do it by hand …

hmm … rather long-winded :redface:

rewrite it as a limε -> 0, where x = -1 + ε. :wink:

In this case, you can "plug in" x = -1. Then you find that you get something of the form 4 / 0. Therefore, the limit does not exist; we sometimes write
[tex]\lim_{x \to -1} \frac{4}{x^2 + 2x + 1} = \infty[/tex]
to indicate this ([itex]\infty[/itex] being the symbol for infinity -- note that this is like a convention to say that the limit does not exist, it does not mean that the limit is "equal to infinity" or something like that).

In principle, this method works: when you get something of the form number/0 or infinity/number (where in both cases, number is not equal to 0), the limit does not exist. Again, I should point out that "of the form" is a necessary addition here: technically you are not allowed to write "4/0", for example, that is an undefined expression. Only when you get something like 0/0 or infinity/infinity you really need to be careful and apply another method.

Having noted that, at x= -1, the numerator is 4 and the denominator is 0, your answer should be that the limit does not exist.

Strictly speaking,
[tex]\lim_{x\to -1} \frac{4}{x^2+ 2x+ 1}= \infty[/tex]
is not correct because
[tex]\lim_{x\to -1^+} \frac{4}{x^2+ 2x+ 1}= \infty[/tex]
while
[tex]\lim_{x\to -1^-} \frac{4}{x^2+ 2x+ 1}= -\infty[/tex]

Best answer: "The limit does not exist."

Oh wow you guys are amazing.
Thanks a lot for all the answers!
Yet again, I was complicating things for nothing.
I know that next week we will see indeterminations of forms like "0/0" and "inf/inf" and things like that and I was afraid that "#/0" was some special case where I had to do other things.

So thanks again!

HallsofIvy said:
Having noted that, at x= -1, the numerator is 4 and the denominator is 0, your answer should be that the limit does not exist.

Strictly speaking,
[tex]\lim_{x\to -1} \frac{4}{x^2+ 2x+ 1}= \infty[/tex]
is not correct because
[tex]\lim_{x\to -1^+} \frac{4}{x^2+ 2x+ 1}= \infty[/tex]
while
[tex]\lim_{x\to -1^-} \frac{4}{x^2+ 2x+ 1}= -\infty[/tex]

Best answer: "The limit does not exist."

This is untrue.

[tex]{x^2+ 2x+ 1}[/tex] = [tex](x+1)^2. [/tex]

Whatever side you approach, the square will make it positive, thus positive infinity.

Related to Solving Simple Limits Questions with No Calculator

1. What are limits in calculus?

Limits in calculus refer to the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain point. It is an important concept in calculus as it helps us understand the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. How do I solve simple limits without a calculator?

To solve simple limits without a calculator, you need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, and simplifying to manipulate the given expression and evaluate the limit. You can also use basic limit rules, such as the sum, difference, and product rules, to simplify the expression.

3. What are the common types of simple limits?

The common types of simple limits include polynomial limits, rational limits, trigonometric limits, and exponential limits. These types of limits can be solved using different techniques, but they all follow the same basic principles of evaluating the function at a specific point.

4. How do I know when a limit does not exist?

A limit does not exist if the left-hand limit and the right-hand limit are different, or if the function has a vertical asymptote at the point where the limit is being evaluated. Additionally, a limit does not exist if the function oscillates between two values as the input approaches the given point.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve limits in calculus?

In most cases, you are not allowed to use a calculator to solve limits in calculus. This is because limits require you to understand the behavior of a function near a specific point, and using a calculator may not provide a true understanding of the concept. However, some limits may be complex and require the use of a calculator, but it is always best to check with your teacher or professor before using one.