Solving simultaneous equations

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the angle of refraction of an e-ray in a uniaxial crystal with indices n0 and ne, where the optic axis is perpendicular to the surface. The equation used is Snell's law, with θ representing the angle of refraction. The solution involves dividing both sides of the third equation by what appears to be an ellipse equation and taking the square root, then plugging it in to solve for θ.
Aelo

Homework Statement

A uniaxial crystal of indices n0 and ne is cut so that the optic axis is
perpendicular to the surface. Show that for light from the outside at
an angle of incidence θi, the angle of refraction of the e-ray is

qxUiOuc.png

Homework Equations

8rCHHWI.png

o3WitOl.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for ne by dividing both sides of the third equation by what appears to be an ellipse equation and taking the square root of both sides, then plugging it in into Snell's law (the second equation). It's become ugly and confusing, though. Help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aelo said:

Homework Statement

A uniaxial crystal of indices n0 and ne is cut so that the optic axis is
perpendicular to the surface. Show that for light from the outside at
an angle of incidence θi, the angle of refraction of the e-ray is

qxUiOuc.png

Homework Equations

8rCHHWI.png

o3WitOl.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for ne by dividing both sides of the third equation by what appears to be an ellipse equation and taking the square root of both sides, then plugging it in into Snell's law (the second equation). It's become ugly and confusing, though. Help is appreciated.

What is θ, that you have in your 2nd and 3rd equations (along with θi and θe)?

Your first equation should be using the lower-case forms of θi and θe, rather than the upper-case forms (##\Theta_i## and ##\Theta_e##). That could be confusing to some.

Sorry about that... I screenshotted it straight from our PDF textbook. I believe θ = θe.

I solved it, thanks anyway.

FAQ: Solving simultaneous equations

What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that are solved together to find the values of multiple variables. They are also known as systems of equations.

Why do we need to solve simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are used to model real-world situations where multiple variables are involved. By solving these equations, we can find the values of these variables and understand the relationship between them.

What are the different methods for solving simultaneous equations?

The most commonly used methods for solving simultaneous equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. Other methods include matrix methods and using technology such as calculators or computer programs.

How do I know if a system of equations has a solution?

A system of equations has a solution if the equations intersect at one point, which represents the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations. If the equations do not intersect, there is no solution. If the equations overlap, there are infinitely many solutions.

Can simultaneous equations have more than one solution?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have one, no, or infinitely many solutions. The number of solutions depends on the nature of the equations and their relationship to each other. For example, two parallel lines will have no solution, while two identical lines will have infinitely many solutions.