Solving simultaneous trigonometric equations

In summary: This method can also be generalized to work with more than two equations. But there's no reason you can't use linear algebra as one of your tools. For example, if I desired to eliminate T from this system of equations, I tend to do it quicker if I do it via (a form of) Gaussian elimination, rather than solve one equation for T and substitute into the other.
physicophile
Hi, all I am new to this site and I was wonder if anyone could help.

I took linear algear algebra last semster and am currently taking statics. I want to know if I can use some of the techniques I learned in linear algebra to solve simtultaneous equations which involve sine or cosines

For example how can I solve this use linear algebra (In know how to solve by methods of subsition but I would like to learn a method which is faster).

Tcos(60)-20sin(x)=0
Tsin(60)-20-20cos(x)=0

Physics news on Phys.org
I only know how to solve system of equations when Ax=B and x=[x;y;z]. I am not sure what to do when x=[T,T:sin(x),cos(x)] like in the example above

Maybe it would help to think about them geometrically

physicophile said:
Tcos(60)-20sin(x)=0
Tsin(60)-20-20cos(x)=0
These aren't linear equations. So why would linear algebra solve them? It doesn't. You can linearize them, but that is an approximate answer (replace a function by the first two (possibly zero) terms of its Taylor series - then you'd have a linear system).

Equations involving trig polynomials?

physicophile said:
I took linear algear algebra last semster and am currently taking statics. I want to know if I can use some of the techniques I learned in linear algebra to solve simtultaneous equations which involve sine or cosines

Well, your example may suggest that this is not what you have in mind, but if you are interesting in the (practical) solution of equations involving trig polynomials (e.g. from problems in robotic motion), these can be attacked using methods from commutative algebra. The basis of these methods is Buchberger's algorithm, a common generalization of Gaussian reduction and Euclid's algorithm, which allows us to compute with ideals in polynomial rings. See for example the superb undergraduate textbook Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms by Cox, Little, and O'Shea.

physicophile said:
For example how can I solve this use linear algebra (In know how to solve by methods of subsition but I would like to learn a method which is faster).

Tcos(60)-20sin(x)=0
Tsin(60)-20-20cos(x)=0

I only know how to solve system of equations when Ax=B and x=[x;y;z]. I am not sure what to do when x=[T,T:sin(x),cos(x)] like in the example above
Well, you're going to give up the notion that you can do this problem using linear algebra and nothing else. As the others noted, this is not a linear problem, so you're going to have to use some other tools.

But there's no reason you can't use linear algebra as one of your tools. For example, if I desired to eliminate T from this system of equations, I tend to do it quicker if I do it via (a form of) Gaussian elimination, rather than solve one equation for T and substitute into the other.

Or... you seem to know how to write this system in the form

[tex]A \left( \begin{array}{c} T \\ \sin x \\ \cos x \end{array} \right) = b.[/tex]

Well, if you have a solution to the original system of equations, then

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{c} T \\ \sin x \\ \cos x \end{array} \right)[/tex]

must be a solution to the linear system of equations

(*) Av = b.
So... you could first find the general solution for v, and then try and solve

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{c} T \\ \sin x \\ \cos x \end{array} \right) = v.[/tex]

However, I would prefer to eliminate x, rather than eliminate T. You can do it purely algebraically, by invoking sin² x + cos² x = 1. Hint: you don't have to take square roots or inverse trig functions to eliminate x.

Last edited:
physicophile said:
Hi, all I am new to this site and I was wonder if anyone could help.

Tcos(60)-20sin(x)=0
Tsin(60)-20-20cos(x)=0
As you have been told, these equations are not linear and so "Linear Algebra" methods will not work. Relatively simple algebra will, however. From the first equation sin(x)= -(T/20)cos(60)= -T/40 (since cos(60 degrees)= 1/2). The second equation is cos(x)= T/40- 1= sin(x)- 1. That's a single trigonometric equation for x and can be solved- though not trivially. For example, replace sin(x) by [itex]\sqrt{1- cos^2(x)} and replace cos(x) by y: you need to solve [itex]y= -\sqrt{1- y^2}- 1[/itex].

FAQ: Solving simultaneous trigonometric equations

1. How do I solve simultaneous trigonometric equations?

To solve simultaneous trigonometric equations, you need to use the principles of trigonometry and algebra. Start by identifying the common trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) in the equations and use algebraic techniques to manipulate the equations into a form where you can solve for a single variable. Then, use inverse trigonometric functions to find the value of that variable.

2. What is the purpose of solving simultaneous trigonometric equations?

The purpose of solving simultaneous trigonometric equations is to find the values of multiple variables that satisfy both equations simultaneously. This can be useful in real-world applications such as physics or engineering, where multiple variables are related through trigonometric functions.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve simultaneous trigonometric equations. However, it is important to first understand the principles and techniques involved in solving these equations by hand. This will help you better understand the results provided by the calculator and check for any errors.

4. Are there any special cases or tricks for solving simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are some special cases and tricks that can make solving simultaneous trigonometric equations easier. For example, if one of the equations involves a right triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the value of one of the variables. Additionally, you can use trigonometric identities and formulas to simplify the equations before solving them.

5. What should I do if I encounter an unsolvable simultaneous trigonometric equation?

If you encounter an unsolvable simultaneous trigonometric equation, it is possible that the equations are inconsistent and have no common solution. In this case, you may need to reassess the problem and check for any errors in your equations. If the equations are correct, it could mean that the problem has no real-world solution.

Back