Solving Sliding Friction Homework: F=ma & Nuk

In summary, if there is a brief hit or force on an object on a horizontal surface, which then experiences sliding friction, the F=ma formula can be used to find the net force acting on the object. However, for a more accurate calculation, additional information such as the final speed and distance traveled after the hit, as well as the friction coefficient, would be needed. Without this information, only the change in momentum or impulse can be determined.
gcharles_42

Homework Statement

So say there was some object on a Horizontal surface. id there was some force on (not constant, but a hit or something) this object and there was a sliding friction between the surface and the object. How would that factor into the F=ma formula? and what if you are given a mass, and a distance that the object moved (not acceleration), and sliding friction coefficient of course - how would you find the force?

Homework Equations

F=ma

Nuk (N)= Force of Friction

The Attempt at a Solution

Would it be F - F(of friction) = m (a)?

converting that accel to a distance is what is bothering me a lot :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

The F in F = ma is always the NET force acting on the object. So, yes, in the beginning, when a force is briefly applied to accelerate the object, the equation would be:

Fapplied - Ffric = ma

Once the applied force has ceased, and the object slides to a stop under friction, it is just:

-Ffric = ma

The kinematics equations you probably know are only applicable for constant acceleration. In this situation, the acceleration is not constant, because the net force is not constant with time. For a brief period at the beginning, it includes the initial "hit", and afterwards, it includes only friction. So, you need more information in order to figure things out.

If you knew what final speed the object reached at the end of the initial "hit" (the period during which it was accelerating), and you know the distance over which it traveled *after* reaching that max speed, then this reduces to a standard kinematics problem and you can solve for the decelerating frictional force.

Hmm, ok, this problem is a little more constrained than I first thought. *IF* I assume that the acceleration period (the period of the "hit") was very brief, then I can assume that most of the distance given in the problem was spent decelerating. In the limit where I assume that the object was decelerating over all that distance, then I know the following:

I know vf = 0

I know the value of 'a' *during the deceleration*, because I know m, which means I know N (it's a horizontal surface), and I know μk, which means I know Ffric, and that gives me a.

I know d

From these three things, I can solve for vi, i.e. how fast must it have been moving just after the "hit" in order for it to require that amount of distance to slow to a stop at that acceleration?

Since I know vi, I know how much change in momentum, or *impulse*, was delivered by the hit. I can't solve for Fapplied (the "hit") from this impulse without knowing over what time interval the hit was delivered. So that's the end of what we can determine.

Related to Solving Sliding Friction Homework: F=ma & Nuk

1. What is sliding friction?

Sliding friction is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are sliding against each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces, which create resistance to the motion.

2. How is sliding friction calculated?

The formula for sliding friction is F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force is the force exerted by one surface on another, perpendicular to the contact surface.

3. What is the relationship between sliding friction and mass?

According to Newton's second law of motion, F = ma, where F is the net force applied to an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. Therefore, the mass of an object does not directly affect the sliding friction, but it does affect the acceleration of the object.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect sliding friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness between two surfaces. The higher the coefficient of friction, the rougher the surfaces and the greater the force of friction. Therefore, a higher coefficient of friction will result in a higher sliding friction force.

5. How can sliding friction be reduced?

Sliding friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces. This creates a thin layer that reduces the contact between the surfaces and decreases the force of friction. Another way to reduce sliding friction is by using smoother surfaces or by applying a force in the opposite direction to counteract the friction force.