Solving Stoichiometry Problem on Oxalate Mass Percent

• Thread starter babbagee
  • Start date
In summary, the teacher was telling us how to figure out the mass composition of oxalate in some crystals that we had just synthesized. The equation is written below:2MnO4- + 5C2O42- + 16H+ ----> 2Mn2+ + 10CO2 + 8H2O. The question is to find the Mass percent of oxalate in the green crystals. The molarity of MnO4- that was used was .0432M, and the amount that was used was 11.57ml. The mass of the green crystals was .225g.
babbagee
I am taking chemistry 1A again just to refresh my skills. The teacher was telling us how to figure out the mass composition of oxalate in some crystals that we had just synthesized. The equation is written below

2MnO4- + 5C2O42- + 16H+ ----> 2Mn2+ + 10CO2 + 8H2O

The question is to find the Mass percent of oxalate in the green crystals. The molarity of MnO4- that was used was .0432M, and the amount that was used was 11.57ml. The mass of the green crystals was .225g.

The teacher converted the Molarity to moles by multiplying it by .01157L. He then converted the moles of MnO4- to the moles of oxalate using the formula mentioned aboce.

My question is since this is a titration don't the moles of the MnO4- added equal the moles of oxalate at the equivalce point. I don't understand why he used stoichometry to get the moles of oxalate. This is what i had learned in my previos class that the moles of acid or base added equals the moles of base being titrated at the equvialnce point. Isnt the fundamental concept of titration that the moles are equal at equivalance point. I may be missing something here so can some one explain it to me. And if my point of view is worng can some one tell me when that concept of "moles are equal at equivalnce point" is used.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Rajvirnijjar said:
I am taking chemistry 1A again just to refresh my skills. The teacher was telling us how to figure out the mass composition of oxalate in some crystals that we had just synthesized. The equation is written below

2MnO4- + 5C2O42- + 16H+ ----> 2Mn2+ + 10CO2 + 8H2O

The question is to find the Mass percent of oxalate in the green crystals. The molarity of MnO4- that was used was .0432M, and the amount that was used was 11.57ml. The mass of the green crystals was .225g.

The teacher converted the Molarity to moles by multiplying it by .01157L. He then converted the moles of MnO4- to the moles of oxalate using the formula mentioned aboce.

My question is since this is a titration don't the moles of the MnO4- added equal the moles of oxalate at the equivalce point. I don't understand why he used stoichometry to get the moles of oxalate. This is what i had learned in my previos class that the moles of acid or base added equals the moles of base being titrated at the equvialnce point.

If this is what they taught you before, they were wrong. However, I seriously doubt that any decent Chem teacher would teach the above wrong idea. I strongly suggest you revise the mole concept and understand the theory behind titrations before proceeding.

Isnt the fundamental concept of titration that the moles are equal at equivalance point.

Again, NO !

I may be missing something here so can some one explain it to me. And if my point of view is worng can some one tell me when that concept of "moles are equal at equivalnce point" is used.

This concept is never used .The correct statement is "the number of equivalents of the different species are equal at the equivalence point." In the above example, an equivalent of MnO4- has 2 moles and an equivalent of C2O42- has 5 moles.

You can NOT relate the number of moles of different species WITHOUT using the balanced chemical equation !

I think that was my problem, in the past i never had equations with different coefficients. Usually the equations were already balanced with every thing having a 1 to 1 ratio. I guess that is what messed me up. What you said at is what I meant to say.

Thanks

Would this be correct then, for example if you were doing a acid base titration

nbase added = nacid initially
[acid]Vacid=[base]Vbase

correct or no
What is the difference between this statement and the statement i made above.

Thanks

Last edited:
It is the same as the previous statement, and hence, is incorrect for the same reason.

This is not an acid/base titration. It is a redox titration.

Last edited:
shrumeo said:
This is not an acid/base titration. It is a redox titration.

So it is only true for acid and base reactions.

what is only true for acid/base titrations?
the relation you gave above?
that would only be true for strong, monoprotic acids (HCl, HNO3) reacting with a strong base (NaOH)
if the acid were di or triprotic (H3PO4, H2SO4) then there would be 2-3 inflection points in your titration curve
the pic at the bottom is an example
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chemlab/techniques/titration.html

FAQ: Solving Stoichiometry Problem on Oxalate Mass Percent

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the calculation of the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

2. How do I calculate mass percent?

To calculate mass percent, divide the mass of the component you are interested in by the total mass of the mixture, then multiply by 100%. This will give you the percentage of the total mass that is made up of the desired component.

3. What is the formula for calculating mass percent?

The formula for calculating mass percent is: (mass of component/total mass of mixture) x 100%.

4. How do I solve stoichiometry problems involving oxalate mass percent?

To solve stoichiometry problems involving oxalate mass percent, you will need to use the molar mass of oxalate and the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, you can use the formula for calculating mass percent to determine the percentage of oxalate in the mixture.

5. Can I use the same approach for solving all stoichiometry problems?

Yes, the same approach can be used for solving stoichiometry problems involving any type of reactant or product. However, the specific calculations may vary depending on the substances involved in the reaction.

Back