Solving Symmetric Group Induction Proof: Hints for Double Induction

In summary, the conversation discusses proving a relationship between elements in the symmetric group ##S_n##. The individual asking the question is trying to determine whether double induction is necessary and receives a suggestion to use mappings instead. However, they realize that the problem can be solved easily using a previously proven theorem.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Consider the symmetric group ##S_n##. I am trying to establish that ##(i,i+1)=(1,2,...,n)(i-1,i)(1,2,...,n)^{-1}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to decide whether I need double induction or not. I have done several calculations to see whether I can get away with one induction, but it isn't clear to me whether this is possible. I could use some hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you simply apply the mappings for the cases ##j< i-2\, , \,j > i-1## and ##j \in \{i-2,i-1\}## if read from left to right? It is no recursive definition but an explicit formula, so why use induction?

Hold on! I forgot that I proved that ##\sigma (x_1,x_2,...,x_n) \sigma^{-1} = (\sigma(x_1),...,\sigma(x_n))##, which makes the problem trivial.

Related to Solving Symmetric Group Induction Proof: Hints for Double Induction

1. What is double induction?

Double induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about mathematical objects that have two recursive structures. It combines the principles of mathematical induction and strong induction, and is commonly used to prove statements about symmetric groups.

2. How do I approach solving a symmetric group induction proof?

When solving a symmetric group induction proof, it is important to first understand the recursive structure of the group. Then, you can break the proof into two parts: proving the base case and proving the inductive step. The base case typically involves showing that the statement holds for the identity element of the group, while the inductive step involves showing that the statement holds for any two elements of the group as long as it holds for their product.

3. What is the role of hints in solving a symmetric group induction proof?

Hints can be helpful in guiding your thinking and approach when solving a symmetric group induction proof. They may provide key insights or suggest useful strategies for approaching the proof. However, it is important to note that hints should not be relied upon solely and it is still important to thoroughly understand the concepts and steps involved in the proof.

4. Can I use double induction to prove any statement about symmetric groups?

While double induction is a powerful proof technique, it may not be applicable to all statements about symmetric groups. Some statements may require a different approach or may not be provable at all. It is important to carefully consider the statement and the structure of the group before deciding on the most appropriate proof technique.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using double induction in a proof?

One common mistake to avoid when using double induction is assuming that the statement holds for all elements of the group just because it holds for the identity element and the product of any two elements. It is important to explicitly prove the statement for each element of the group in the inductive step. Additionally, be careful not to rely too heavily on hints and remember to thoroughly understand the concepts and logic behind the proof.