Solving "tanθ + cotθ = 2": Is it Wrong?

• Thread starter BOAS
  • Start date
You need to show that the equation has a unique solution, and then find that solution. In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation in the range -180°≤ θ ≤ 180° by manipulating it and eventually leading to the equation 2cosθsinθ = 1. After finding the solution of θ = 45 or -135 degrees, another method is suggested by replacing cot(θ) with 1/tan(θ) and solving for tan(θ). This method is proven to be simpler and shows that the equation has a unique solution of θ = 45 degrees.
BOAS
Hello,

i'm fairly sure that what I have done is wrong/not allowed, but I want to check because it seemed like a good idea, but now it's causing problems.

Homework Statement

Solve the following equations in the range -180°≤ θ ≤ 180°

tanθ + cotθ = 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

tanθ + cotθ = 2

[itex]\frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta}[/itex] = 2

[itex]\frac{sin^{2}\theta}{cos\theta sin\theta}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{cos^{2}\theta}{sin\theta cos\theta}[/itex] = 2

[itex]\frac{sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta}{cos\theta sin\theta}[/itex] = 2

[itex]sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta[/itex] = [itex]2cos\theta sin\theta[/itex]

Since [itex]sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta[/itex] = 1

then

[itex]2cos\theta sin\theta[/itex] = 1

(the above is where I think I've done something careless)

I now have

[itex]sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta[/itex] = 1

I don't know what to do with it really... I tried saying [itex]sin^{2}\theta[/itex] = [itex] 1 - cos^{2}\theta[/itex] but it doesn't really get me anywhere.Is what I have done not correct?

EDIT - I know it can be solved by putting the original equation into a quadratic form, and doing so did bring me to the correct answer of -135 and 45 degrees.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, manipulating the original equation gives 2cosθsinθ = 1. What you need to do is find θ to make this equation true.

SteamKing said:
Well, manipulating the original equation gives 2cosθsinθ = 1. What you need to do is find θ to make this equation true.

Ahhh, I was focused on the other side of the equation!

2cosθsinθ = sin2θ

sin2θ = 1

2θ = 90

θ = 45

from the curve I can see where -135 comes from also.

It's quicker to replace cot(θ) by 1/tan(θ)

tanθ + cotθ = 2
tanθ + 1/tanθ = 2

Multiply by tanθ to get
tan2θ + 1 = 2tanθ
tan2θ - 2tanθ + 1 = 0
This equation can be factored to solve for tanθ.

BOAS said:
Hello,

i'm fairly sure that what I have done is wrong/not allowed, but I want to check because it seemed like a good idea, but now it's causing problems.

Homework Statement

tanθ + cotθ = 2

Homework Equations

tanθ + cotθ = 2

[itex]\frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta}[/itex] = 2

[itex]\frac{sin^{2}\theta}{cos\theta sin\theta}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{cos^{2}\theta}{sin\theta cos\theta}[/itex] = 2

then

I now have

[itex]sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta[/itex] = 1

I don't know what to do with it really... I tried saying [itex]sin^{2}\theta[/itex] = [itex] 1 - cos^{2}\theta[/itex] but it doesn't really get me anywhere.

Is what I have done not correct?

EDIT - I know it can be solved by putting the original equation into a quadratic form, and doing so did bring me to the correct answer of -135 and 45 degrees.

The quantity ##t = \tan(\theta)## must satisfy the equation
[tex] t + \frac{1}{t} = 2,[/tex]
whose unique (real) solution is ##t = 1##. This is easy to see and prove. For any ##A,B > 0## the arithmetic-geometric inequality says
[tex] \frac{A+B}{2} \geq \sqrt{AB},[/tex]
with equality only when ##A = B##. Apply this to ##A = t, B = 1/t, ## to conclude that for ##t > 0## we have ##t + 1/t \geq 2,## with equality only when ##t = 1##. For ##t < 0## it similarly follows that ##t + 1/t \leq -2,## so negative values of ##t## won't work.

So, the unique root is ##\tan(\theta) = 1##.

Mark44 said:
It's quicker to replace cot(θ) by 1/tan(θ)

tanθ + cotθ = 2
tanθ + 1/tanθ = 2

Multiply by tanθ to get
tan2θ + 1 = 2tanθ
tan2θ - 2tanθ + 1 = 0
This equation can be factored to solve for tanθ.

This is how I solved it after struggling with the method outlined in the OP.

Much simpler, but it is cool to see the many ways of solving these problems.

BOAS said:
Hello,

Homework Statement

tanθ + cotθ = 2

Homework Equations

tanθ + cotθ = 2

then

Yes, you've said that [itex]\frac{sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta}{cos\theta sin\theta}[/itex] = 2

and [itex]sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta[/itex] = [itex]2cos\theta sin\theta[/itex]

Now, substitute the [itex]2cos\theta sin\theta[/itex] into the numerator of [itex]\frac{sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta}{cos\theta sin\theta}[/itex] = 2

This will give you [itex]\frac{2cos\theta sin\theta}{cos\theta sin\theta}[/itex] = 2

which simplifies into 2 = 2

BOAS said:
2cosθsinθ = sin2θ

sin2θ = 1

2θ = 90

θ = 45

from the curve I can see where -135 comes from also.

sin(2θ)= 1 when 2θ =90 °+ k 360 °, k=0, ±1 ±2... . That means θ=45 ° ± k 180 °. Which angles are in the range [-180°, 180°]?

ehild

Anonymoose2 said:
Yes, you've said that [itex]\frac{sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta}{cos\theta sin\theta}[/itex] = 2

and [itex]sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta[/itex] = [itex]2cos\theta sin\theta[/itex]

Now, substitute the [itex]2cos\theta sin\theta[/itex] into the numerator of [itex]\frac{sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta}{cos\theta sin\theta}[/itex] = 2

This will give you [itex]\frac{2cos\theta sin\theta}{cos\theta sin\theta}[/itex] = 2

which simplifies into 2 = 2
So? The idea is to show that tanθ + cotθ = 2, not that 2 = 2, which is obviously true.

FAQ: Solving "tanθ + cotθ = 2": Is it Wrong?

1. What is the solution to the equation tanθ + cotθ = 2?

The solution to this equation depends on the value of θ. It may have multiple solutions or no real solutions at all.

2. How do you solve tanθ + cotθ = 2?

To solve this equation, you can use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation techniques to simplify the equation and find possible values of θ.

3. Is it possible for tanθ + cotθ = 2 to have no solutions?

Yes, it is possible for this equation to have no real solutions. In this case, the equation is said to be inconsistent.

4. Can I solve tanθ + cotθ = 2 by using a calculator?

No, a calculator cannot solve this equation for you. You will need to use mathematical techniques and solve it manually.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving tanθ + cotθ = 2?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider, such as when θ is equal to 0, π/2, or π. In these cases, the equation simplifies to a simpler form and may have different solutions.