Solving Tension at an Angle: Friction, Force, Coefficient

In summary, the student is exerting a force of 116.7 N on a suitcase due to the static friction between the suitcase and the floor.
Yshai24

Homework Statement

A student pulls her 22-kg suitcase through the airport at constant velocity. The pull strap makes an angle of 50 degrees above the horizontal. (a) If the frictional force between suitcase and floor is 75N, what force is the student exerting? (b)What's the coefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

F=ma
μk x N

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I have the answer to this in the back of the book, but I can't figure it out. Here is my attempt:

First I split tension in two components and tried to find the x and y Fnet,

y: -mg + N + T x sin50 = ma = 0 (constant velocity = zero acceleration)
x: T x cos50 - 75N = ma = 0

Algebraically reworking this:

(T x Cos50) / μk = N

so substituting this in, my final equation should be:

T=(22kg)(9.8m/s2)/(cos50/μk)+sin50

The part where I am confused is how to find the coefficient. I tried all the ways I knew and I know the hint is that the friction is 75N. I tried μk=75N/215.6N (m x g, 22kg x 9.8) = .34 but this is not correct as it isn't right in the back of the book and I know that the normal force is less because of the angle of the tension.

Ultimately, I am confused because it seems circular. I need the normal force to find the coefficient but I need the coefficient to find the normal force. Every other equation I have seen like this provides the coefficient.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how you got your formula for T, but I'm assuming you subbed in your formula for N into your y component formula. Rearranging you get T=[(22-kg)(9.8-m/s^2)-(T*Cos 50/uk)]/sin 50 , which is different from your equation for T. You can quickly tell your equation for T is wrong because you have a plus sin 50 on your RS, where in the y component equation you have a times sin 50 on the LS.

I think it would be best just to solve for T in your x component equation, then sub that into your y component equation, where you can solve N and from there solve uk. Don't use my equation for T to do this question since you have the variable T on both sides.

Thank you for the reply.

I am still a bit confused though. I used the equation that my teacher worked out in class. When I do that equation with the coefficient of static friction that the answer gives, my solution is correct. So I know that it is the right formula, or at least will yield the right answer. The book gives and answer of μk=.594 and Force T = 116.7N

You can see that if you use my equation, with the given coefficient, it will come out to 116.7.

So I tried to do what you said and solve for T in the x direction but I honestly don't know what T would be. Isn't that the problem, that I don't know it?

I initially thought that Tx had to be 75N because the friction is 75N. Is that correct? In that case, How would I solve for X?

Tcos50 - 75N = ma
75N x cos50 - 75N?

Still a bit lost here.

Thanks for your time.

You set the x component equation to zero yourself. Thus T=75/cos 50. What I meant was in the equation labelled with "x:" you can solve T by rearranging. The x component of T is 75 N, but T with its x and y components added together is 116.7.

I see that your equation is right, but the way you wrote it is wrong:
It should be T=(22kg)(9.8m/s2)/[(cos50/μk)+sin50] , otherwise it does not look like you are dividing by sin 50, rather it looks like you are adding it to the fraction.

Likes 1 person
Solved

Got it. I think I was over complicating it because I started with the last equation. But it seems easier than I initially thought. Perhaps because I still am a little rusty on trig functions.

So:

Tcos50 -75n =ma = 0 is 75N/cos50 = T = 116.7N

This gives me the force that is being exerted by the student on the suitcase. Using this I can solve for Normal force of Y

-mg + N + T x sin50 = ma = 0

N+(T x sin50) = mg

N=mg - (T x sin50) = (22kg)(9.8m/s2) - (116.7 x sin50) = 126.2

So using this, I get:

μk=Fk / N = 75/126.2 = .594

Sound good?

Thanks again for the help. I need to study sin cos tan more.

Related to Solving Tension at an Angle: Friction, Force, Coefficient

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a constant value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless number and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (maximum friction).

2. How does the coefficient of friction affect tension at an angle?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in determining the amount of tension at an angle. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance between the two surfaces, resulting in a higher tension. Conversely, a lower coefficient of friction will result in less tension.

3. What is the force acting on an object at an angle?

The force acting on an object at an angle is known as the component force. It is the force that is acting in the direction of the object's motion, and it is determined by multiplying the force applied to the object by the cosine of the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

4. How do you calculate tension at an angle?

To calculate tension at an angle, you need to use the equation T = F / cosθ, where T is the tension, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle between the applied force and the direction of motion. This equation takes into account the component force and the coefficient of friction.

5. Can tension at an angle ever be greater than the force applied?

No, tension at an angle can never be greater than the force applied. This is because the component force is always less than or equal to the applied force, and the coefficient of friction can only reduce the tension further. Therefore, the maximum tension at an angle can only be equal to the applied force.