Solving tension equations with trig.

In summary, the problem involves four ropes tied between four trees with known tensions in three of the ropes. To find the tension in the fourth rope, the attempt was made to use trigonometry and the cosine law. However, the calculated tension was not correct and it was suggested to find the x and y components of the three known forces and use them to determine the tension in the fourth rope.
sdoi

Homework Statement

There are four pieces of rope tied between four trees. Given the forces of tension in three of the strands, find the force of tension in the remaining rope.
Rope 1: 2.1x10^-3N [20°E of N]
Rope 2: 1.6x10^-3N [60° E of S]
Rope 3: 1.9x10^-3N [40° W of S]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using trig to find the tension in rope 4, but I have no idea if I'm approaching this in the right way:
1st I drew out all of the ropes and ended up with something that looks like a distorted square. I drew a line down the middle so I would end up with two separate triangles. This line would represent the sum of the tension in rope 2 and 3.

(a/sinA) x sin C =c
(1.5x10^-3N/ sin 40) sin 80= c
c= 2.45x10^-3N

Then I went on to find the tension in the third rope:
Because I know two sides of the triangle (Rope 1, and the sum of rope 2&3) I used the cosine law:
a^2=b^2+c^2-2bccosθ
= (2.1x10^-3N)^2 + (2.45x10^-3N)^2 - 2(2.1x10^-3N)(2.45x10^-3N)cos20
a= √7.4x10^-7N
a= 8.62x10^-4N
Therefore the tension in the fourth rope would be 8.62x10^-4N.

I know this isn't correct, but I don't know why, wait unless the 8.62x10^-4N is the sum of all of the tensions in the ropes? and all i have to do is subtract Rope 1, 2, &3 from 8.62x10^-4N.

Any Ideas??

Physics news on Phys.org
Its not clear but I'm thinking the four ropes are connected at a common point in the center. If so figure out the x and y components of the three forces and add the x and y components and call that sum vector S. The fourth force must be equal to -S

?

Related to Solving tension equations with trig.

1. How do I solve tension equations with trig?

To solve tension equations with trigonometry, you will need to use the properties of trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to represent the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle. By setting up and solving equations using these functions, you can find the tension in a given system.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic tension equations?

Static tension equations involve solving for the tension in a system that is not moving. This can be done by setting up and solving equations using trigonometric functions. On the other hand, dynamic tension equations involve solving for the tension in a system that is in motion. This may require additional equations and concepts such as Newton's laws of motion.

3. How do I determine which trigonometric function to use in a tension equation?

The trigonometric function used in a tension equation depends on the given information and what you are trying to solve for. If you are given the lengths of two sides of a right triangle, you can use the cosine or sine function. If you are given the length of one side and an angle, the tangent function can be used. It is important to carefully read the problem and identify the relevant information to determine which function to use.

4. Can I use trigonometry to solve for tension in any system?

Trigonometry can be used to solve for tension in systems that can be represented as right triangles. Therefore, it may not be applicable in all situations. Additionally, some systems may require the use of other mathematical concepts in addition to trigonometry.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving tension equations with trig?

One common mistake when solving tension equations with trigonometry is forgetting to convert angles to the correct units (radians or degrees). It is also important to carefully label the sides and angles of the right triangle when setting up equations. Additionally, it is important to double-check calculations and make sure they are accurate.