Solving Tension & Pulley Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving pulleys and ropes. There is some confusion about the number of tension forces present and how to approach the problem. In the end, the individual seeking help is able to solve the problem with the clarification that the two tension forces on the right side should be added together.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure.

Homework Equations

[tex] \sum F_{y} = 0[/tex]
[tex] \sum F_{x} = 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't see how to solve this. The only thing I can think of is the vertical forces of both sides of the pulley are going to equal the gravitational force of the mass in and that the two x components on each side of the rope will cancel.

I don't have the magnitude on the right hand side of the pulley and on the left hand side I don't have the magnitude or the angle. How do we solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• TensionPulley.JPG
    TensionPulley.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jegues! :smile:

The question doesn't say that the pulleys are frictionless, but I think you'd better assume they are.

If so, then the tension T will be the same all the way along the rope. :wink:

If the tension is constant across the pulley, then isn't it just like ignoring the pulley and pulling on the rope directly?

See my FBD to get what I'm trying to say.

Attachments

• FBDTP.JPG
    FBDTP.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 374
Hi jegues! :smile:

No, because there's three arrows, one up-left, and two up-right, all with magnitude T. :wink:

because there's three arrows, one up-left, and two up-right, all with magnitude T

Thank you tiny-tim, with that I was able to solve it.

But for a conceptual clarification of why there is two up-right, is it because of the 2nd pulley the cord passes over?

Thanks again!

No, it's because there's two ropes on the right …

you have to add the tensions (they happen to be the same, but if they weren't, you'd still add them)

But it's the same rope passing over the pulley, the tension should remain constant so why isn't it simply T instead of 2T?

The weight doesn't know they're the same rope. :wink:

FAQ: Solving Tension & Pulley Homework Problem

1. How do I identify the forces and directions in a tension and pulley problem?

First, draw a free-body diagram of the system. Label all the forces acting on the objects, including the tension forces in the ropes or cables. Then, use the principle of equilibrium to determine the direction and magnitude of the tension forces.

2. How do I account for the mass of the pulley in my calculations?

In most tension and pulley problems, the mass of the pulley is negligible compared to the masses of the objects attached to it. Therefore, you can assume that the pulley has no mass and does not contribute to the forces in the system. However, if the pulley's mass is significant, you will need to include it in your calculations.

3. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the applied force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and can reduce the amount of force needed to lift the object.

4. How do I determine the acceleration of the system in a tension and pulley problem?

To determine the acceleration of the system, you will need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. Set up equations for each object in the system and solve for the acceleration.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving tension and pulley problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to account for the mass of the pulley, mixing up the direction of the tension forces, and not using the correct equations to calculate the acceleration of the system. It is also important to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.