Solving the Balanced Board Problem

• Thread starter splac6996
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Board
In summary, the two people standing on the balanced board with the lighter person jumping suddenly have a solution using the equation for conservation of angular momentum about the fulcrum pivot. The mass, radius, and tangential velocity of one person can be used to solve for the velocity of the other person. However, the equation must be adjusted to include r^2 on both sides.
splac6996

Homework Statement

Two people are standing on a very light board that is balanced on a fulcrum. The lighter person suddenly jumps straight up at . Just after he jumps, how fast will the heavier person be moving?

Homework Equations

M1*(Vf1) + M2*(Vf2) = M1(Vi1) + M2(Vi2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using this equation but I did not get a likely solution I think I should include the distance that the two man are apart but I do not know what to do with that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you need to use conservation of angular momentum about the pivot of the fulcrum... the torque about the pivot is 0... hence the angular momentum isn't changing... we can't use conservation of linear momentum because of the external forces like gravity and the force exerted at the pivot of the fulcrum.

so i know the mass of both men and the tangential velocity for one of them so from that point do I set the following equation equal to one another to solve for tangential velocity of the second man.

L(angular momentum)=m*r*v(tangential velocity)

Thanks i figured it out using that equation but r should be r^2 for both sides.

Related to Solving the Balanced Board Problem

1. What is the balanced board problem?

The balanced board problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves placing weights on a balancing board in such a way that the board remains perfectly level. It is also known as the "balance scale problem" or the "weighing problem".

2. Why is solving the balanced board problem important?

Solving the balanced board problem requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many fields of science. It also has real-world applications in fields such as engineering and logistics.

3. What are some strategies for solving the balanced board problem?

There are several strategies for solving the balanced board problem, including the trial and error method, the divide and conquer method, and the binary search method. Each method involves a different approach to finding the solution.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the balanced board problem?

Yes, the balanced board problem has real-world applications in fields such as engineering, logistics, and even in everyday life. For example, it can be used to design a balanced diet plan or to evenly distribute weight in a moving vehicle.

5. Is there a specific formula or algorithm for solving the balanced board problem?

No, there is no specific formula or algorithm for solving the balanced board problem as it requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, there are various mathematical principles and strategies that can be applied to find a solution.