Solving the Biot-Savart Problem

• Thread starter jackdamack10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biot-savart
In summary, the problem is that the two conductors are not aligned and the net magnetic force is pointing in the negative x direction.
jackdamack10
I have two questions

1) The problem is here

View of two long, straight and parallel conductors carrying a current as shown below

8 cm
P-------------------------O (I2 = 15 A..out of the page)
l
l 6cm
l
l
O
(I1 = 10A .. into the page)

v = - (3*10^6) K m/s at point P

I must find the net magnetic force it experiences due to the two conductors

I’m not quite sure what to do. This is how I think I should proceed:

-Find the direction of the magnetic fields (B1 and B2). B1 is pointing upwards and B2 is pointing to the left?

-Find B using B = 2KI/distance (for each B1 and B2)

-Find components of B

-F1 = qv X B1 and F2 = qv X B2

Basically, I'm quite unsure about the magnetic field (direction).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well. I don't know u and uXv... Basically, the only value I know of is v. How would I do the right hand rule. Is there a way of finding out about the direction of u simply with I along?\

By the way, is u X v = B?

Last edited:
jackdamack10 said:
well. I don't know u and uXv... Basically, the only value I know of is v. How would I do the right hand rule. Is there a way of finding out about the direction of u simply with I along?\

By the way, is u X v = B?

The u in the diagram is just a general representation of a vector in the diagram showing the right hand rule for cross products. The original comment noted that your field directions are wrong. The right hand rule for a current carrying wire (or a moving charge) is to point your thumb in the direction of positive current. Your fingers then curl around the wire in the direction of the field. The right hand rule illustrated in the diagram then applies to the cross product for finding the force.

Thanks, but I just want to make sure i understood:

For the first current, B down. Using RHR, I find that the force is pointing in the negative x direction?

Last edited:
I'm very sorry jackdamack10, I gave you a link to the wrong Right-hand rule. I meant to give you one that explains how to find the direction of the field produced by a curent. The rule goes as follow:

Let your thumb point in the direction of the curent, then curl your other 4 fingers around your thumb (if you hear cracking noises and feel a sharp pain in your hand you're curling in the wrong direction). This is the direction that the magnetic field curls around the wire. Using this rule, you should find that the field produced by I1 at point P is in the direction of positive x.

jackdamack10 said:
Thanks, but I just want to make sure i understood:

For the first current, B down. Using RHR, I find that the force is pointing in the negative x direction?

You have not told us your coordinate system. I cannot tell which way the charge is moving. I can tell the direction of B on the page, but I cannot relate that to x, y, z

Related to Solving the Biot-Savart Problem

1. What is the Biot-Savart law and why is it important in science?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current. It is important in science because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space due to a current-carrying wire, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine.

2. How do you solve the Biot-Savart problem?

The Biot-Savart problem can be solved by using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point in space is directly proportional to the current, the distance from the current, and the sine of the angle between the current and the point in question. By using this law, we can calculate the magnetic field at any point in space due to a given current.

3. What are the limitations of the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is limited to calculating the magnetic field produced by steady currents. It also assumes that the current is infinitely thin and straight, and that the magnetic field is measured in a vacuum. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true, which can lead to inaccuracies in the calculations.

4. How is the Biot-Savart law related to other laws in electromagnetism?

The Biot-Savart law is related to other laws in electromagnetism, such as Ampere's law and Gauss's law. All of these laws describe different aspects of electromagnetic fields and can be used together to gain a more complete understanding of a given situation.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law has many practical applications, including in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and in geology to map magnetic fields in the Earth's crust.

Back