Solving the Combustion of Octane

• Thread starter tanya234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, to combust 1 litre of octane, which has a density of 0.70g/mL, you will need 8.6 cubic meters of air with a composition of 78% nitrogen and 22% oxygen by volume. This is determined by balancing the chemical equation of the combustion reaction and using the fuel to air ratio at stochiometric conditions.
tanya234
Hello, how would i solve the following?:

"How many litres of air (78% N2, 22% O2 by volume) are needed for the combustion of 1 litre of octane, C8H18, a typical gasoline component, of density 0.70g/mL?"

Note - 1 mole of oxygen gas is equal to 24.5 litres.

I have done the chemical equation of the combustion of octane which is C8H18 + 25/2O2 ---> 8CO2 + 9H20 but I am unsure about what to do next.

Thank you :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
tanya234 said:
Hello, how would i solve the following?:

"How many litres of air (78% N2, 22% O2 by volume) are needed for the combustion of 1 litre of octane, C8H18, a typical gasoline component, of density 0.70g/mL?"

Note - 1 mole of oxygen gas is equal to 24.5 litres.

I have done the chemical equation of the combustion of octane which is C8H18 + 25/2O2 ---> 8CO2 + 9H20 but I am unsure about what to do next.

Thank you :smile:

Assuming a complete combustion:

[tex] C_8 H_{18} + a(O_2+3.714N_2)\rightarrow b CO_2 + c H_2O[/tex]

Conservation of atoms:

b=8, c=9, a=25/2 (you were right)

So that, the Fuel to Air ratio at stochiometric conditions is: W=molecular weight, N=moles, m=mass, f=fuel, a=air:

[tex] FAR_s=\frac{m_f}{m_a}=\frac{W_f N_f}{W_a N_a}=\frac{W_f}{4.714W_a a}=\frac{114 g/mol}{4.714\cdot 28.9 \cdot 25/2}=\frac{0.0669 g_{fuel}}{g_{air}}[/tex]

1 litre of octane is 0.7 Kg. So that you will need 0.7/0.066=10.4 Kg of air, which at normal conditions has a density of 0.0012 Kg per litre, therefore 8.6 cubic meters of air will be needed.

To solve this problem, we need to use the balanced chemical equation for the combustion of octane and the given information about the composition and density of octane. Let's break down the steps to solve this problem:

Step 1: Calculate the molar mass of octane (C8H18) using the periodic table. The molar mass is 114.23 g/mol.

Step 2: Use the density of octane (0.70 g/mL) to calculate the mass of 1 litre of octane. 1 litre of octane is equal to 700 grams (0.70 g/mL x 1000 mL = 700 g).

Step 3: Calculate the number of moles of octane present in 700 grams using the molar mass. 700 g / 114.23 g/mol = 6.12 moles of octane.

Step 4: Use the mole ratio from the balanced chemical equation to determine the number of moles of oxygen needed for the combustion of 6.12 moles of octane. According to the equation, 1 mole of octane reacts with 25/2 moles of oxygen. Therefore, 6.12 moles of octane will react with (6.12 x 25/2) = 76.5 moles of oxygen.

Step 5: Use the given information about the composition of air to calculate the volume of air needed for 76.5 moles of oxygen. Since air is 22% oxygen by volume, we can assume that 22% of the volume of air is oxygen. Therefore, the total volume of air needed is (76.5 moles x 100%) / 22% = 347.7 moles. Now, we can use the conversion factor given in the note (1 mole of oxygen gas is equal to 24.5 litres) to calculate the volume of air needed in litres. (347.7 moles x 24.5 litres/mole) = 8,501.65 litres of air.

Therefore, 8,501.65 litres of air (78% N2, 22% O2 by volume) are needed for the combustion of 1 litre of octane. I hope this helps!

FAQ: Solving the Combustion of Octane

1. What is the combustion of octane?

The combustion of octane is the process by which octane, a hydrocarbon found in gasoline, is converted into carbon dioxide and water through a chemical reaction with oxygen. This reaction releases energy, which is harnessed to power engines.

2. How is the combustion of octane related to the functioning of engines?

The combustion of octane is an essential part of the functioning of engines. When octane is burned, it releases energy in the form of heat, which is harnessed to power engines and move vehicles. This process is known as internal combustion.

3. How does the combustion of octane occur?

The combustion of octane occurs through a process called oxidation. In the presence of oxygen, octane molecules break apart and recombine with oxygen atoms to form carbon dioxide and water. This process is exothermic, meaning it releases energy in the form of heat.

4. What factors affect the combustion of octane?

The combustion of octane can be affected by several factors, including the amount of oxygen present, temperature, and pressure. Incomplete combustion can also occur if there is not enough oxygen, resulting in the production of carbon monoxide and other harmful pollutants.

5. What are the environmental impacts of the combustion of octane?

The combustion of octane, like any combustion reaction, releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, contributing to climate change. It also produces other pollutants such as nitrogen oxides and particulate matter, which can have negative impacts on air quality and human health.

Back