Solving the Fluids Straw Problem: Compute Water Fraction in Ideal Gas Model

In summary, this problem involves the drinking straw trick and treating the straw as an ideal gas. The pressure in the air trapped in the straw before taking it out of the water needs to be determined, as well as the new pressure in the air head space and how much the water surface inside the straw moves down when the straw is removed from the water.
whatislifehue

Homework Statement

This problem pertains to the drinking straw trick. You decide to place your finger over a 20.0cm straw. 95.0% of the straw is filled with water, while the top is full of air. Treating the straw as an ideal gas, compute fraction of the straw that is filled with water when the straw is drawn out of the glass.

Homework Equations

[tex] B = \rho gV [/tex]
[tex] P_1 + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2 + \rho g h_1 = P_2 + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2 + \rho g h_2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure how to start this, but I am pretty sure I have to do something with the pressure of the straw. The atmospheric pressure is equal to 101325 Pa, and the pressure at the bottom of the straw should be Patm + rho*g*h, so there is a pressure differential. If 95% of the straw is filled with water, does that mean that the water contributes to 95% of the buoyant force of the straw while air contributes 5%? I have these ideas but I am not too sure how to apply them to proceed with this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a buoyancy problem. It is a hyrostatics problem. Initially, 95% of the straw is below the water surface, i.e., 19 cm. There is 1 cm of straw sticking out above the water surface. You put your finger over the top of the straw, and take the straw out of the water.

What is the pressure in the air trapped in the straw before you take the straw out of the water? After you take the straw out of the water, the water surface inside the straw moves down a little, and a small amount of water leaks out the bottom. You need to determine the new pressure in the air head space, and how much the water surface inside the straw moves down.

Chet

Related to Solving the Fluids Straw Problem: Compute Water Fraction in Ideal Gas Model

1. How do I determine the water fraction in an ideal gas model?

The water fraction in an ideal gas model can be determined by using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of moles present, and inversely proportional to its volume. By rearranging the equation and solving for the number of moles of water, the water fraction can be calculated.

2. What is the purpose of solving the fluids straw problem?

The purpose of solving the fluids straw problem is to understand the behavior of fluids in a confined space and how they interact with each other. This problem can also be applied to real-life situations, such as understanding the flow of liquids in pipes or the movement of gases in a container.

3. Is the ideal gas model an accurate representation of real-world fluids?

The ideal gas model is a simplified version of real-world fluids and is only accurate under certain conditions, such as low pressure and high temperature. In more complex systems, the ideal gas model may not accurately predict the behavior of fluids.

4. Can the fluids straw problem be solved using other mathematical models?

Yes, there are other mathematical models that can be used to solve the fluids straw problem, such as the Navier-Stokes equations or the Euler equations. However, the ideal gas model is often used as it is simpler and easier to understand and apply.

5. Can this problem be extended to other types of fluids besides water and gases?

Yes, the fluids straw problem can be extended to other types of fluids, such as liquids with different densities or gases with different molecular weights. The principles and equations used to solve the problem may vary depending on the properties of the specific fluid being studied.