Solving the mass of the Earth using 17th and 18th Century tools

In summary, the conversation discusses the methods and challenges of solving for the mass of the Earth using only 17th and 18th century tools and theories. The participants mention using Newton's and Kepler's laws, as well as the invention of the telescope, to aid in the calculation. They also bring up the need for the mass of another body, such as the moon, to be able to use the equation g=(G.m1.m2)/r^2 to find the mass of the Earth.
Johnnymac
Solving the mass of the Earth using 17th and 18th Century tools...

Good afternoon, morning, evening everyone...

I am looking for a little guidance on how to solve for the mass of the Earth utilizing only tools and theories available to people in the 17th and 18th Century.

I have Newton's and Keplar's laws available...

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]G\frac{M}{r^2}=g[/tex]
Telescope was invented already, so r is available. g - also isn't big problem. The most difficult thing is to measure G. But there are some ways. This data is enough.

What does having a telescope have to do with finding r, the radius of the earth? That as calculated about a thousand years before the telescope was invented, wasn't it?

Yes. It really was (if i remember correctly, even 2 thousand years before). Just when i started to think how to measure r, telescope was my first idea. If i lived in 18th century i would use it.
Sorry, i wasn't presice.

Thank you both! Here's to solving!

Several centuries ago, the radius of the Earth was found using the angles of the Sun rays formed on Earth. To find the mass you will probably have to use g=(G.m1.m2)/r^2. This means you will need the mass of another body, like the moon.

Not sure how else you could find the Mass of the earth.

FAQ: Solving the mass of the Earth using 17th and 18th Century tools

1. How accurate were the 17th and 18th century tools used to measure the mass of the Earth?

The tools used during this time period, such as the pendulum and the balance scale, were not as precise as modern instruments. However, scientists were able to obtain relatively accurate measurements by using multiple tools and techniques.

2. What were some of the challenges faced when trying to measure the mass of the Earth with these tools?

One of the main challenges was the lack of advanced technology and equipment. Scientists also had to account for factors such as atmospheric interference and gravitational pull from other celestial bodies.

3. How did scientists use the tools to calculate the mass of the Earth?

Scientists used a combination of techniques, such as measuring the acceleration due to gravity and determining the density of the Earth, to calculate its mass. They also compared their results with previous measurements and made adjustments based on new data.

4. How accurate were the calculations of the mass of the Earth during this time period?

The calculations were relatively accurate, with most scientists estimating the mass of the Earth to be within 1% of its actual value. However, with advancements in technology and more precise tools, our understanding of the Earth's mass has greatly improved.

5. Why is it important to study how the mass of the Earth was calculated in the past?

Studying the methods used to calculate the mass of the Earth in the past helps us understand the development of scientific knowledge and techniques. It also allows us to appreciate the advancements made in technology and our understanding of the Earth's mass over time.

Back