Solving the Mystery of Skydiver's Acceleration

• Thread starter Feodalherren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, the conversation revolved around a physics question regarding a skydiver's acceleration and the force of air resistance on them. Through the use of Newton's third law and the equations f=ma and other mechanics, it was determined that the air resistance force must be equal and opposite to the weight force in order for the skydiver to accelerate at a rate of 3m/s^2. The final answer was found to be 595N for the air resistance force.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

I just had an exam in physics and there was this one easy question that I just couldn't wrap my head around.

A skydiver (85kg) is accelerating at 3m/s^2. What is the force of the air resistance on him?

Homework Equations

f=ma and other mechanics

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the F of the skydiver which would equal 255 N. I then used Newton's third law to conclude that the air resistance must be 255 N up. But then I started thinking... If he's accelerating, there must be a Fnet... How, then, can he accelerate if the friction from the air equals the force of gravity?

What should I have done?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you basically say that the air resistance is equal to and opposite to that of the force due to gravity.

If the air resistance is *equal and opposite* to the force due to gravity, would he be accelerating?

That's what I mean. That's what threw me off. I have no idea how to solve for the air friction... maybe something with 10m/s^2 and 3m/s^2?

If they're equal and opposite, then

[itex]F_{g} = -F_{res}[/itex]

therefore

[itex]F_{net} = F_{g} + F_{res} = 0[/itex]

can you accelerate if there is zero net force?

Feodalherren said:
maybe something with 10m/s^2 and 3m/s^2?
Yes.

Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

I just had an exam in physics and there was this one easy question that I just couldn't wrap my head around.

A skydiver (85kg) is accelerating at 3m/s^2. What is the force of the air resistance on him?

Homework Equations

f=ma and other mechanics

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the F of the skydiver which would equal 255 N. I then used Newton's third law to conclude that the air resistance must be 255 N up. But then I started thinking... If he's accelerating, there must be a Fnet... How, then, can he accelerate if the friction from the air equals the force of gravity?

What should I have done?

Newtons third law: For every force acting, there is an equal and opposite force acting

That 255N force is the net force - the vector sum of the acting forces.

You don't apply Newtons Third Law to the net force.

You should have been looking at the acting forces; which gave a net force of 255N

Hmm... So... Would this be correct reasoning

85kg 10m/s^2 =800N
85kg 3m/s^2 = 255N

800-255= 545

The air friction is 545N

?

Feodalherren said:
Hmm... So... Would this be correct reasoning

85kg 10m/s^2 =800N
85kg 3m/s^2 = 255N

800-255= 545

The air friction is 545N

?

Numerically not bad - except that 85 * 10 is 850 not 800; meaning a final answer of 595N

More appropriately.

Acting force down = weight force which is mg. If you assume a value of g = 10, that means a weight force of 850N.
Often we use the valu of 9.8 for g, which mans a weight force of 833N.

The net Force is 255N down [as you already calculated].

The other acting force is air resistance up.

Weight of 850N down, in combination with an air resistance force of 595N up is how we get a net force of 255N down, resulting in an acceleration 3 m/s^2.

Woops, you're right :D.
Well, at least I figured it out. Thank you.

FAQ: Solving the Mystery of Skydiver's Acceleration

1. What is the purpose of solving the mystery of a skydiver's acceleration?

The purpose of solving this mystery is to gain a better understanding of the forces and factors that affect a skydiver's acceleration during freefall. This knowledge can be applied to improve safety measures and equipment for skydivers, as well as advance our understanding of physics and gravity.

2. What factors affect a skydiver's acceleration?

The main factors that affect a skydiver's acceleration are air resistance, weight, and gravity. The amount of air resistance depends on the skydiver's body position and the surface area of their body, while weight and gravity are constant forces determined by the mass and the acceleration due to gravity, respectively.

3. How does air resistance affect a skydiver's acceleration?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. As a skydiver falls, air resistance increases and eventually becomes equal to the force of gravity, causing the skydiver to reach a constant speed known as terminal velocity. At this point, the skydiver's acceleration is zero.

4. How is the acceleration of a skydiver calculated?

The acceleration of a skydiver is calculated by dividing the net force acting on the skydiver by their mass. In simpler terms, it is the change in velocity (speed and direction) over time. During freefall, a skydiver's acceleration is constant until reaching terminal velocity.

5. Can a skydiver's acceleration be changed during freefall?

Yes, a skydiver's acceleration can be changed during freefall by changing their body position. By reducing the surface area of their body and adopting a more streamlined position, a skydiver can decrease air resistance and increase their acceleration. Similarly, spreading out their body and increasing surface area will increase air resistance and decrease acceleration.